COLUMN | The time is right to invest in women's basketball

AUBURN, AL - JANUARY 14 - Neville Arena during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the #7 LSU Tigers at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Sunday, Jan. 14, 2024.

Photo by Grayson Belanger/Auburn Tigers
AUBURN, AL - JANUARY 14 - Neville Arena during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the #7 LSU Tigers at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Sunday, Jan. 14, 2024. Photo by Grayson Belanger/Auburn Tigers

“The time is always right to do what is right.” 

This is a well-known quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the beloved civil rights leader. I want to piggyback on what Dr. King said and say that the time is right to start supporting Auburn women’s basketball. 

The women’s basketball program at Auburn is a very storied program. In total, this program has three Final Fours, four SEC tournament titles and five SEC regular season titles. So, that goes to show that these things are possible at Auburn University.

Following Monday’s win over the Lady Bulldogs of Georgia, Auburn improved to an impressive 11-2 at Neville Arena. This includes wins over defending national champion LSU and rival Alabama. During its matchup against LSU, a Neville Arena attendance record of 7,720 was set. Now my question – why can’t we do this all the time?

Johnnie Harris is in her third year on the Plains and she has done everything she can to drive support for her basketball program. 

Some might call it taking the Bruce Pearl route. What does this mean? It means campaigning, doing community service, supporting other sporting events and public speaking engagements. Most importantly, she is winning!

According to recent bracketology from ESPN’s lead women’s bracketologist, Charlie Creme, the Tigers are on the bubble, listed as the first four out. This goes to show how far this team, this program, has come. There is still work left to be done and this year’s team is built to get the job done. The time is right to support Auburn women’s basketball. 

On Thursday, the Tigers welcome Dawn Staley and the No. 1 South Carolina Gamecocks. The Gamecocks are the only undefeated team in all of college basketball and they are a very talented team. Auburn will most definitely have its hands full. I am certain Harris wants Neville packed because the voices of fans make a difference. Why not break another attendance record?

Since Harris’ arrival on the Plains, Auburn is no stranger to top 25 wins. However, the Tigers do not possess a win over a top-ranked team in the Harris era. 

A big challenge awaits, but a major opportunity sits in front of Auburn, and a win could have an extraordinary impact for weeks and months to come. Well, what’s left to be done? 

It’s time for the Auburn Family to put on a show, once more.

Game time is set for 7 p.m. and this team needs people in seats. Neville Arena has made itself known as the most intimidating atmosphere in the SEC for men’s hoops, but why not bring the same intensity on a Thursday night for women’s hoops? 

When tipoff arrives, bring the noise, bring the passion, bring the intensity and make South Carolina “Fear the Jungle”.

Women’s basketball is on the rise across the country and it is time for Auburn to make women’s basketball matter on the Plains. 

The right coach is at the helm and we should grant her the same patience we gave Pearl during his first few years. I advise the Auburn community to trust the process. The foundation has been laid, and the rise is here.

The time is right! Invest into women’s basketball. 

Michael Floyd | Community Writer

Michael Floyd, junior in journalism, has been with The Plainsman since Spring 2021. He is a native of Brewton, Ala., an can be followed on Twitter here.

Share and discuss “COLUMN | The time is right to invest in women's basketball” on social media.