Special Olympics Pushes Its Campaign to End the "R-Word"

"That's retarded."

It's such a commonly-used phrase that most people don't even notice how often they use it.

But, what some people may not realize is those words can adversely affect others.

This past March, the Special Olympics began an international "Spread the word to end the word" campaign to raise awareness "of the impact of the thoughtless, hurtful use of the word 'retard,'" said the campaign's Web site.

"The campaign's goal is to help change attitudes across the nation about special Olympians, and also those with special needs," said Allison Hall, director of the Lee County Special Olympics program. "It's also a way to highlight Special Olympics and bring more people into the program and let them know what we're all about."

Hall said she thinks the word should be avoided out of respect for mentally challenged people, and because it's courteous to be considerate of how language can affect others.

"We want to do anything we can to better their lives and better their chances in competition," Hall said, "and that includes sending a positive message and encouraging them and not using negative words such as the "R-word." It's been in our common language for many years, and I think that's the reason the Special Olympics has chosen that word to target. It's also an easy word we can eliminate from our vocabulary."

Hall said she does not believe society is becoming too sensitive and politically correct on the use of certain words.

"Language is different for different people," Hall said. "Some people are more sensitive to certain words than others, but any campaign we can do to promote a positive and healthy message is a good campaign, so I don't really think what we are doing could hurt anything."

Hall said the appropriate term that should be used to refer to mentally handicapped people has been debated all around the world for many years.

She said some of the ones most commonly used are "special needs" or "mentally challenged," but all the words people use should be used in a positive way.

University students have mixed opinions when it comes to the "R-word."

"The word 'retarded' is degrading and not a pleasant word at all," said Lacey Tomberlin, a junior in psychology. "I have used it in my younger days when I didn't realize the consequences of saying it to someone, but I don't use it at all anymore. When I hear that word, I think another word could have been used instead."

On the other hand, Patrick Bryant, a senior in health promotion, said, although he does not use the word disparagingly, he does use the word jokingly, with his friends.

"I honestly don't feel anything when I hear the word retarded," Bryant said. "I've always used it in a joking manner and not to harm others. It's only offensive if you make it offensive."

Bryant said he does not think the word should be eliminated from the language because if the "R-word" were removed, then a lot of other words would have to be removed from the language.

He said society is becoming too sensitive on topics such as the use of certain words, but he said the "R-word" depends on the context.

The campaign, which targets 18-31-year-olds, says that most people have negative connotations when it comes to mentally and physically disabled people.

However, when it comes to the Special Olympics, the campaign says peoples' attitudes change when they see the athletes competing.

The campaign's Web site, www.r-word.org, has a petition signed by almost 48,000 people pledging their support of the removal of the "R-word."

Share and discuss “Special Olympics Pushes Its Campaign to End the "R-Word"” on social media.