Michael Hansberry/Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Special Olympics Pushes Its Campaign to End the "R-Word"

"That's retarded."It's such a commonly-used phrase that most people don't even notice how often they use it.But, what some people may not realize is those words can adversely affect others.This past March, the Special Olympics began an international "Spread the word to end the word" campaign to raise awareness "of the impact of the thoughtless, hurtful use of the word 'retard,'" said the campaign's Web site."The campaign's goal is to help change attitudes across the nation about special Olympians, and also those with special needs," said Allison Hall, director of the Lee County Special Olympics program.

Sports

Auburn Grad, Fred Bousquet, Beats Phelps 50-Meter Freestyle Record

Members of the Auburn swim team participated in the 2009 Charlotte UltraSwim Competition with outstanding results.More than 20 swimmers represented Auburn at the four-day event held May 14-17.Unlike regular swim meets, the UltraSwim requires individual competition in contrast to the usual team participation.2009 Auburn graduate and 2008 Olympian, Fred Bousquet, once again dominated the event.Bousquet not only came in first place in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 21.33 seconds, but he also beat Olympic Gold Medalist, Michael Phelps, in the 100-meter freestyle finals.Phelps came in at 49.04 in the 100-meter freestyle and Bousquet came in at 48.22, giving Bousquet a U.S.

More articles »