Soccer Sweethearts kick off fall season

The Soccer Sweethearts recently named their 2009-2010 members and have begun preparing for the fall 2009 soccer season.

The primary function of the Auburn Soccer Sweethearts is to support Auburn club men's soccer.

"There is no funding from the school, so we have to fundraise," said Sweetheart Laura Garikes. "We use the income to help pay travel and we go to all of the games to support the team."

The hostesses participate in recruiting opportunities in the fall for both the Sweethearts and Men's Club Soccer alike, including the recent O-Days on the Concourse.

Because Men's Club Soccer is not sponsored by the school, in order to grow a stronger support system Garikes said they put up fliers advertising the upcoming games.

In addition, they have activities such as auctions in the spring and socials, which help the members of the team as well as the Sweethearts to have the chance to get to know each other better in a more relaxed, slow-paced setting.

The process of joining Soccer Sweethearts is as simple as following a few steps.

"First, the officers hold an informational meeting for any interested," said freshman and new member Mercedes Linton. "Following the informational meeting, the ones that wished to continue picked up their applications, and after that, the interviews were held."

While it would be beneficial to have some knowledge of soccer, the Sweethearts welcome women of all sports backgrounds.

"No knowledge is needed to be successful in the interview process." said Jodi Reynolds, Sweethearts president.

Since the callouts Sept. 16, the Soccer Sweethearts have 130 members, 52 of which were named as new additions to the group.

Share and discuss “Soccer Sweethearts kick off fall season” on social media.