Spikettes Raise Awareness About Track and Field Accomplishments

Uniforms are on. Shoe laces are tied. Hair is secured. And the sun is shining down on the Hutsell-Rosen Track; everyone seems to be in position for the day's track meet.

Everyone on the AU Spikettes, that is.

As the official hostesses for the Auburn University track and field and cross country teams, the Spikettes are not strangers to the relaxed, but exciting atmosphere at track meets.

"(Meets) are all-day affairs," said Caitlin Gelal, a sophomore in international business and the Spikettes' Web master. "There's work involved, but they are usually pretty low-key."

Gelal said the Spikettes' primary responsibilities at meets are to register additional runners and to cheer for Auburn runners as they approach the finish line.

"Since the track team doesn't have as big a fan base as other sports teams, we're considered its 'special fans,'" Gelal said. "(The athletes) really like it when we stand by the track and cheer for them."

Gelal said the Spikettes do anything that needs to be done during meets.

"We are kind of the coaches' little helpers," Gelal said. "Some girls are asked to put hurdles out before races, (and) it can be intense because you have to know when and where to place them on the track."

It's the Spikettes' job to distribute T-shirts to the winners of each race during the meet, as well as help with the presentation of trophies and medals at the awards ceremonies.

"No one really knows how awesome the track team is," said Maggie Messinger, president of the Spikettes.

Messinger said the Spikettes hope to change this by expanding the organization.

"One thing that stands out about the Spikettes is you really get to know runners on a personal basis," Messinger said. "They are fun, outgoing and great people."

In addition to working at the home meets, which normally occurs twice each spring, the Spikettes provide dinners and encouraging messages for the teams throughout the season.

"We made a pasta dinner for them one night after practice," said Margaret Anne McGuire, a senior in accounting. "We also had a barbecue dinner for them out by the track after one of their practices."

Gelal said another way the Spikettes get to know the runners is through "Track Pals."

"All the Spikettes are paired up with a runner before a meet," Gelal said. "We put notes in the runners' goodie bags to say 'good luck.'"

Gelal said the pairings for Track Pals are different each week.

"We do as much as we can to encourage them," Messinger said.

The Spikettes organization not only serves the track and field and cross country teams, but it also supports itself with fall fundraisers.

"We have restaurant nights where we go to certain restaurants and sign the back of our receipts," Gelal said. "All the proceeds from those nights go to the Spikettes."

Messinger said they also hold an annual bake sale on the Concourse.

Gelal, Messinger and McGuire said they were excited about girls interested in trying out for the Spikettes.

"We had 35 Spikettes last year, but we're looking to expand this year," Gelal said.

McGuire said she chose to try out for Spikettes because she wanted to stay involved with running, but did not have enough time to be on the team.

"I've been a runner since seventh grade on the varsity team, but I knew it would take up a lot of time," McGuire said. "(The Spikettes) has been a good way to be part of the Auburn community."

Share and discuss “Spikettes Raise Awareness About Track and Field Accomplishments” on social media.