Always Striving to do Better

As a media and the campus's main source for news, we strive for accuracy and expediency.

There is a level of credibility that must be met as well in order for respect to be gained from readers.

News groups, especially newspapers, have to establish an intimate relationship with their readers in order to survive in these days of change.

You get to know us as writers individually by our columns.

You know us as a whole by our articles, photos and videos.

The editorials give our readers a chance to see into the staff's collective opinions.

Reminder: those should not be taken as facts.

We strive to have unbiased articles and cover all newsworthy aspects that are relevant to our readers.

We had an incident two weeks ago where a writer plagiarized in a news article. He fabricated a quote from the governor's press secretary.

Our apologies again to those affected.

Along with trying to serve the students, faculty and staff, we pride ourselves on the transparency of the work we gather, edit and publish for the community.

Mistakes are made and we acknowledge and take credit for our errors.

I also notice the threat of credibility, and that is why honesty overrides embarrassment.

Newspaper readership is at a record low after a recent report.

The Audit Bureau of Control released Monday that only 13 percent of the population reads a physical paper.

That means we are only reaching 3,400 of the Auburn students, according to the statistics of that report.

Every reader should know we serve him or her, as does every newspaper to their audience.

Blogger Paul Gillin wrote about the decline and rebirth of the newspaper industry. He said the changes will make traditionalists uncomfortable.

He describes how the move to new media will replace the physical paper and the impact of multimedia and the Web.

Regardless of the new developments, the habitual readers should be relieved knowing some things will never change.

Content should and will always drive any media, whether it is a newspaper or a television station.

No matter the alterations we are making at this paper, we are concentrating on the content. It is a learning experience for all of us to embrace the inevitable while keeping the overall goals in sight.

Media can't afford to fall short with informing inaccurately and unfairly.

Readers claim they don't know what goes on behind the scenes. They are not sure if they can trust their news source.

If you have questions about our articles or our judgments, ask.

Any staff member would be willing to explain their position.

We have been making changes, but the readers have been our No. 1 priority.

Trust us.

We are here to serve you.

Share and discuss “Always Striving to do Better” on social media.