Auburn City Council Approves Skate Park

Ellison Langford / NEWS EDITOR
Ellison Langford / NEWS EDITOR

The City Council approved the proposed East Alabama Skate Park during its Tuesday night meeting.

The park, which will be part of the East Glenn Avenue Comprehensive Development District, is expected to be large enough to accommodate skates, skateboards and BMX bikes, said Design Plaza representative Greg Darden.

"I'm nearly 50 and I skate twice a week," said Auburn resident Timothy Burt.

However, Burt said he has to drive all the way to Columbus, Ga., to skate.

The council also approved renaming Bent Creek Road, north of East Glenn Avenue, to Mike Hubbard Boulevard.

"We probably need a policy and some guidelines in place for any sort of public improvement," said Councilman Gene Dulaney. "In this case there are some special circumstances."

Mike Hubbard is credited with securing funds for a new terminal at the Auburn Airport.

The new terminal has not been named yet.

Mayor Bill Ham acknowledged Lt. Josh Smith of the Auburn Fire Division as Auburn's employee of the month.

"There is no doubt that his efforts and experience make the fire division a better place," Ham said.

Alcoholic beverage licenses were approved for The Bank Vault and The Independent.

A retail beer license was approved for India Garden.

Service pins and plaques were awarded to Leslie F. Johnston, for five years of service to the Auburn Public Library; to Gary L. Pugh, for five years of service in the Public Works Department; to Rena Turk, for 10 years of service to the Parks and Recreation Department; to Travis S. Williams, for 10 years of service to the Environmental Services Department; to Tracy Hill, for 25 years of service to the Public Safety Department and to Jesse G. Reese Jr., for 35 years of service to the Environmental Services Department.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council Approves Skate Park” on social media.