Auburn Suffers First Loss of the Season

The No. 17 Auburn Tigers (5-1, 2-1) were handed their first loss of the season Saturday from the University of Arkansas Razorbacks (3-2, 1-2), 44-23.

Arkansas controlled the game early, scoring two rushing touchdowns and one passing touchdown to take a 20-0 lead.

Auburn was able to get a 37-yard field goal from junior placekicker Wes Byrum in the second quarter. The field goal was Auburn's only points in the first half.

Byrum's field goal gave the Tigers a total of 211 points on the season, two more than was scored the entire 2008 season.

Auburn failed to score in the first quarter, the first time this season the Tigers have not scored a point in a quarter.

Arkansas' sophomore quarterback Ryan Mallett was able to throw for another touchdown before halftime to bring the Razorbacks' lead to 27-3.

The second half started quicker than the first half did.

Mallet scored on a 4-yard scramble halfway through the third quarter to extend the lead to 31 points, 34-3.

The Tigers roared back in the third quarter, putting 20 points on the board behind two touchdown runs by senior running back Ben Tate and one touchdown run from freshman running back Onterio McCalebb.

Auburn failed to reach the endzone again, but yielded 10 more points to Arkansas for the final score of 44-23.

Senior quarterback Chris Todd was 15-28 for 133 yards. It marks the first game this year Todd has not thrown for a touchdown.

Tate led the running game with a career high 184 yards on 22 attempts with two touchdowns. His second touchdown was on a 60-yard run, Tate's longest rush of his collegiate career.

Todd threw the ball to seven different receivers during the game.

Senior tight end Tommy Trott, sophomore wide receiver Darvin Adams and Tate led the team with three receptions each. Sophomore wide receiver Quindarius Carr led all receivers with 32 yards receiving.

Share and discuss “Auburn Suffers First Loss of the Season” on social media.