Blasting Off at Auburn Public Library

Morgan Thacker / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR
Morgan Thacker / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR

Auburn schoolchildren watched E.T., crawled inside a stardome and got creative with space-related crafts during the Auburn Public Library's Space Week.

Space week started Oct. 4 and runs through Oct. 10.

The week began with a screening of "E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial" Sunday at 2:30 p.m. in the youth services department.

"This has been a long, planned out project," said Eve Kneeland, head of youth services. "We knew eventually we would have this building, so as soon as we were in it, and settled in last year, we started it."

The events continued with a visit from Alabama author Roger Reed, who spoke Monday about his book, "Space."

The McWane Center brought its stardome all the way from Birmingham, Tuesday.

The stardome is an inflatable indoor planetarium which teaches students about the solar system and constellations.

The High Altitude Balloon Club is visiting the library today at 3:30 p.m.

The idea for space week arose from Brown and Kneeland's mutual interest in space.

And because the University produces so many aerospace engineers and astronauts, Kneeland said she and Brown thought a space week at the library would be a good way to show schoolchildren they could one day have a job associated with space.

Brown said she scheduled the library's event to coincide the same week as International Space Week.

"I want area schoolchildren to have a sense of the library they may not have had before," said Ashley Brown, space week coordinator.

However, when students aren't at the events, they can do space-related crafts like make mobiles or color.

They can also take a look at the variety of space-related displays different classes made for the library.

Adrian Meadows, 6, and Evan Meadows, 4, went to the library Sunday with their mom Christy Meadows planning to play on the computers.

But when none of them were available, they watched E.T. instead.

Cary Woods Elementary School did a "Poor Pluto" display based on the book of the same name about why Pluto is no longer a planet.

A fourth grade class from Wrights Mill Road Elementary School contributed a papier-mache solar system.

Brown and Kneeland sent letters to Auburn schools telling them about their idea for Space Week and asking them if they would be interested in being a part of it, Kneeland said.

"We get the children to do the art and display it at the library," Brown said, "first of all because it decorates the library, but second of all that brings children into the library when they come and see it. So a lot of children, who don't normally come to the library, come to the library."

Share and discuss “Blasting Off at Auburn Public Library” on social media.