Community Orchestra Performs 'Music from the Movies'

Students and families lounge in the grass as dogs run around and children play. It could be a Norman Rockwell painting, but it is simply a Sunday afternoon at Kiesel Park.

This past Sunday, the Auburn Community Orchestra performed "Music at the Movies" from 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. to an audience of about 100.

Howard Goldstein, an associate professor of music, conducted the orchestra, which was composed of musicians from Auburn's community and University.

"We've done individual film scores on individual concerts, but this is the first concert devoted solely to movie music," Goldstein said.

The movie theme was well received by the audience who enjoyed familiar tunes.

"I've been to about three at Kiesel Park and this was my favorite because I knew all of the songs," said William Calhoun, a senior in Spanish and political science.

Playing a range of music from classic Italian pieces such as Mascagni's Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana (used in the film Raging Bull) and Barber's Adagio for Strings from the movie Platoon, to modern pieces like Badelt's Pirates of the Caribbean and John Williams' Jaws and ET, appealed to all ages in the audience.

"I really enjoyed it," said Anna Ralsten, a sophomore in English. "I like how they tied classical and modern music to create the movie theme."

Goldstein said pieces were grouped more by tone and feel, rather than chronologically.

"There are obvious groups; 'More' and 'Moon River' became radio hits in the 1960s, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jaws and Moon River form a kind of aquatic trilogy," Goldstein said. "Then Medelssohn and Mascagni are all classical pieces that were used in famous movies."

He also selected the music based on what the musicians would like to play, but would not fit into the upcoming schedule.

"One of the players really wanted to go to Barber's Adagio for Strings which many people heard in the movie Platoon," Goldstein said. "It seemed logical, therefore, to situate that piece in a movie music concert."

Perkins said the orchestra meets in a class every Tuesday and has been practicing since the beginning of the school year and said their hard work has paid off.

Ralsten, a musician not involved with the orchestra, agreed and said the overall performance was good.

"However, I wish the acoustics were a little better because the strings tended to fade," Ralsten said. "I also like to watch the players, and it was hard to do that with them in the pavilion."

Calhoun said Auburn does not have many good places for concerts and, although the amphitheater might have better quality, it would not be as picturesque.

Drew Eden, a senior in biomedical sciences, thought the park contributed to the quality of the concert.

"It was amazing," Eden said. "I came to support my friend, Joe Hwang, who plays in the orchestra. But it was just a great atmosphere and a perfect day."

Share and discuss “Community Orchestra Performs 'Music from the Movies'” on social media.