Auburn Public Library takes part in National Gaming Day

Libraries, which are typically associated with reading level quiet, are embracing the louder world of video gaming.

The American Library Association is promoting "National Gaming Day," Saturday, Nov. 14., sponsored by Hasbro.

The Auburn Public Library (APL) held their first gaming night Thursday because they weren't able to do so Saturday, said Eve Kneeland, the head of youth services.

The event was open to the general public, but geared toward teenagers.

The library had two "gaming" sections: one for tabletop board games, which were available after 3 p.m., and a Wii Sports room, which was open from 6:30 to 8 p.m.

The library purchased two Nintendo Wii Systems for the event.

"Gaming in libraries is not new," Kneeland said. "It's been going on for generations, but with different types of games."

APL is the site of a chess club for home-schooled children, as well as frequent board game events.

Kneeland said this is the first time the library purchased video game equipment.

"Senior centers and retirement homes are using the Wii in particular,"

Kneeland said. It benefits the elderly because they can get physical, but also because it enables them to remotely partake in activities they are no longer able to fully engage in.

APL is planning to expand its video game library, focusing on literature-based games, such as Spiderwick Chronicles, Nancy Drew, and Harry Potter games, as well as games that offer intellectual stimulation.

Kneeland said the library was not currently planning to have a video game rental section, but was not closed off to the idea for the future.

In January, APL is beginning a "Teen Cafe" program, which will include a variety of activities including gaming on a regular basis, Kneeland said.

"It's cool," said Elina Zhang, a sophomore at Auburn High School. "It's kind of different."

Zhang, 14, is on the board of young adult library ambassadors, and played Wii for the first time Thursday night.

Derrick Grandison, a 12-year-old at Drake Middle School in Auburn, said his favorite Wii game is MarioKart.

Grandison said he was at the library with his mother to do homework.

"When I got done with my homework, I got on the computer," Grandison said.

Grandison was on the computer when he saw and heard the gaming night in the other room, and came in to play video games with the other teenagers.

Zhang and Grandison are also avid board game players.

Zhang said her favorite board game is Apples to Apples, and Grandison said he was good at Checkers.

"We had a full house with the tabletop board games, both adults and kids," Kneeland said.

Board games featured at the event included family favorites, such as Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Jenga, Battleship and a box of Spirograph equipment, which Kneeland said she received for Christmas in 1968.

APL offers a large variety of events for youth and teens, including a Holiday Party on Dec. 10, which will feature crafts, games, music and a surprise visit from Mrs. Claus.

"They did a garage band concert," Zhang said about her favorite event at the library. String Theory, a local band, performed in October.

The APL Youth Calendar can be found at their Web page, http://www.auburnalabama.org/LIBRARY/youthservices.htm.

Share and discuss “Auburn Public Library takes part in National Gaming Day” on social media.