How To: Detoxify the Body

Everyone is aware toxins and chemicals affect the environment, but few think of the impact it has on their bodies.

Detoxification originally referred to ridding a person's chemical dependency on drugs, but now also refers to a cleansing process.

"Especially now, a lot of toxins, pollutants and heavy metals build up in the body," said Kimberly Sotelo, owner of Yoga Ananda.

According to WebMD.com, fasting is the most efficient way to rid the body of toxins.

There are many types of fasts, and Sotelo suggested for each person to research individually and choose the fast best suited for his or her body type.

Sotelo explained the detox process cleans the body and the mind.

"When you detox your skin, and breath smells different, you're giving your whole body a physical and mental rest," Sotelo said.

Christi Talvert, senior in nutrition dietetics, is fasting to detoxify her body.

"My feelings range from euphoric to flu-like," Talvert said. "It depends on what state I'm in in the process. Feelings bounce around depending on the intensity of the detox, and changes in mood and physical comfort are dependent upon the level of toxins released into the bloodstream at a given moment."

Fasts can last from one weekend to several weeks and vary in intensity.

Talvert said she often does a juice or raw food fast, depending on how she feels.

"People should never detox to lose weight, that will just cause them to crash," Sotelo said.

For those looking for a less intense experience, Create a Spa on College Street has detoxifying treatments to pull the toxins out of the skin, said Sonya Hiedeth, owner and massage therapist.

"The treatments include clay and detoxifying cream which pull impurities out like oils and toxins," Hiedeth said.

Create a Spa offers body wraps, and facial treatments with detoxifying benefits.

Hiedeth said perspiration detoxifies the body as well.

But there is no quick fix to rid the body of impurities.

"The best and the easiest way is to make a lifestyle change," Sotelo said. "Being healthy is so simple, and we've made it so complicated."

Sotelo recommended eating organic, local unprocessed foods and only eating processed foods with less than five ingredients.

Drinking lots of water and exercising regularly also keeps the body free of toxins.

"The best detox is a lifestyle change," Sotelo said, "Simplification is detoxification, prioritizing and simplifying."

Share and discuss “How To: Detoxify the Body” on social media.