Santa Arrives at Village Mall for Christmas

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but Santa Claus has already arrived at Auburn's Village Mall.

Santa, along with Mrs. Claus, arrived by horse and carriage at the mall's main entrance Friday at 7 p.m.

"I have been here since 1995 and Santa has been here every year I have been here," said Village Mall Marketing Director Terri Knight. "To my knowledge, they have had him here ever since the mall opened in 1973."

Mrs. Claus passed out candy canes before Santa's big entrance.

She also had "story-time" with the children who eagerly gathered at the mall for the event.

In addition to reading her traditional "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," she also read "A Magical Christmas."

After story time, Mrs. Claus joined Santa on the carriage as the children headed outside the mall for Santa's arrival.

"We usually see anywhere from as small as 100 children to as many 250," Knight said, "it just varies from year to year. It always depends on if Auburn has a home or an away game and what else is going on in the area."

Approximately 150 children showed up with their parents for the event.

"Santa's arrival is always one of our biggest events of the year," Knight said.

Children waiting outside the mall beamed with happiness as the pair of Clydesdale horses drew the carriage into sight.

However, it wasn't until snow began falling outside the mall in 70 degree weather that the magic of the Christmas season became evident.

This came with some help from the mall maintenance man and a snow machine.

"When we arrived and the snow started falling, all the children's faces just lit up," said Joy Notbohm, customer service director for Village Mall who played Mrs. Claus. "They really believed Santa had made it snow; it was like magic to them."

Notbohm has been playing Mrs. Claus at the mall for more than 10 years.

"It's always fun to read to the children and take part in Santa's arrival," Notbohm said. "This year was fabulous. It actually went better than we even expected it to."

Children waited for Santa to get to the "winter wonderland" scene, set up near the food court, so they could sit on his lap.

For the parents who brought their children to the event, getting the perfect photo for the family Christmas card seemed to be the top priority.

However, for the children, presents seemed to be the main thing on their minds.

Most children hopped eagerly onto Santa's lap to tell him what they wanted under the tree on Christmas morning.

"I want Thomas the Train," said Walker Wiley, 3, as he grinned from ear to ear looking up at Santa. "Thomas the Train," he repeated to be sure Santa understood his request.

Santa will be at Village Mall for children to visit and take photos every day until Christmas.

Santa's hours are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays. He will be there until Christmas.

Photo packages range in prices from $17 to $36.

However, Mrs. Claus will not be with him to greet children anymore.

"Mrs. Claus only comes this one time," Knight said with a smile. "Only when Santa arrives. Then she has to go back to the North Pole and make things ready so Santa can stay here until Christmas."

Share and discuss “Santa Arrives at Village Mall for Christmas” on social media.