Serving it up with Coach Shore and Men's Tennis

Hailing from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, head coach Eric Shore has been steering the Auburn Men's Tennis team to victories for two decades.

"In one word I would say I'm laid back because that is how some people perceive me," Shore said. "But I think I'm quietly intense, as my players might agree with that."

Shore has established Auburn's tennis program as one of the top in the country, averaging close to 15 wins per season.

Gabor Zoltan Pelva, assistant coach of the men's tennis team described Shore in one word: "loyalty."

"Coach Shore is truly faithful to Auburn, to co-workers, student-athletes and his family," Pelva said. "This is a great value to have in a dynamic and changing world. He is a great example to everybody, especially to our student-athletes who grow up and leave Auburn as formed persons ready to tackle the world."

Shore attended Daytona Beach Community College and graduated in 1984 from Francis Marion College in Florence, S.C., where he finished his tennis career ranked 20th nationally in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) singles.

With a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology, after graduation Shore was employed as the assistant tennis pro at the Scarsdale Golf Club in Hartsdale, N.Y.

After five summers in Hartsdale, Shore returned to South Carolina and coached the Francis Marion men's and women's tennis teams and worked as an assistant pro at the Florence Country Club.

Shore became assistant coach at the University of South Carolina in 1985 and assisted the Gamecocks' achievement of a top-five national ranking in 1989.

During his career at South Carolina, he earned a master's degree in physical education in 1990 and was coordinator of the United States Tennis Association Boys' National Intersectional Team Championships.

Shore then came to Auburn in 1990.

"Coaching at Auburn has been great," Shore said. "I've enjoyed it, I don't really consider it work so that is a good situation to be in."

Since his arrival at Auburn, Shore has navigated his teams to five top-15 finishes and 15 NCAA tournament appearances in the last 16 years, including three Sweet 16 appearances and two top-eight appearances.

"I'm fortunate to have worked with really good players over the years," Shore said. "We've had a lot of good players, and I have been lucky enough to coach them."

Shore became the all-time most winning men's tennis coach in Auburn history Feb. 5, 2005.

"He is very very nice and personal, we know his wife and kids," said junior Tim Puetz. "We are all foreigners who came here with no idea what was going on in the States, he really takes good care of us."

With help from Shore, the Tigers have had 15 All-American selections and 21 All-SEC honorees. In addition, 29 Tigers have participated in the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships under Shore.

"Coach Shore is more than just a coach," Pelva said. "He is a father figure for all of our student athletes, and that makes him a very likable person."

Shore has numerous goals for the Tigers that he believes they can achieve in the next couple of years.

"My short-term goal is to get this current team to the Sweet 16 or NCAA Tournament and my long term goal is to win a national championship in tennis," Shore said. "My individual goal for the team is to win a NCAA singles title in the next couple of years and win a NCAA doubles title."

The Tigers consists of 10 players this season and have an all-time record of 677-518 (.566).

"I think we have one or two players who are capable in the next two years," Shore said. "Tim Puetz has two years left, and I honestly think he's good enough to win a NCAA singles title."

Shore has also coached 10 All-Americans, including 2005 Wimbledon Doubles Champion, Stephen Huss, who became the first Auburn tennis player to win a Wimbledon title.

"His door is always open for everybody who has any concerns, regardless if that's tennis, school or socially related, and he truly believes if the student-athlete feels well in his or her environment, he or she will thrive as a tennis player and as a person," Pelva said. "He has great patience for his work, and he enjoys every moment of it. Seeing that he inspires everybody around him to do better."

Share and discuss “Serving it up with Coach Shore and Men's Tennis” on social media.