Students Earn Top Bartenders of the Year Award

Two Auburn University students and Hotel at Auburn University employees were named the top bartenders of the year in Alabama.

"For us at the hotel it is an honor because we have two people working in our bar who were recognized by our peers and colleagues," said Will Rentschler, hotel operation manager. "We feel like proud parents because we helped coach them along the way to this award."

For a second year in a row the hotel has earned the first-place honor for best bartender of the year in Alabama. The previous winner in 2008 was Daniel Hollifield, head bartender for the hotel last year, according to Rentschler.

Michael Smith, senior in hotel and restaurant management, won first place this year and took the gold medal in the "Alabama Bartender of the Year Competition," during the ninth annual Restaurant and Hospitality Stars of Alabama Dinner Oct. 26 at the Renaissance Hotel and Spa in Montgomery.

Blake Brasseale, head bartender and junior in hotel and restaurant management, won second place and took the silver medal.

"This event was an industry dinner for colleagues from all over the state to come recognize achievements of hotels in Alabama," Rentschler said.

Smith started out as a server and has been an employee of the hotel for more than two years and was promoted to bartender eight months ago, according to Rentschler.

"We (the hotel) nominated Michael and Blake for this award because they continuously receive compliments and are always noticed by local and transient guest," Rentschler said.

According to Rentschler, Brasseale's winning cocktail was a "Casino Boogie," and Smith's winning cocktail was "Mike's Maximum Melon," both drinks created by the cocktail-artist, Brasseale and Smith.

Smith and Brasseale, said they had a month to get ready, which was short notice, and it gave them little time to prepare for this event.

"They (the hotel) sprung this task on us," Brasseale said. "We were given a list of 140 different cocktails, and we had to practice making 30 of those drinks sponsored by the Three Olives vodka company, which highlighted three flavors including grape, cherry and bubble gum."

The competition took place in an actual bar-scene scenario and the grades were given based on the speed the drink was prepared, taste and accuracy of the drink and the interaction among guests with individual showmanship, according to Smith and Brasseale.

Bartenders do more than just put on a show and serve drinks to hotel guest and patrons.

"It is no surprise that they (Smith and Brasseale) came in first and second place," said Steele Dykes, bartender at the hotel. "Michael and I have learned everything we know about bartending from Blake."

Brasseale said he has worked at the hotel for a year and a half. His duties as head bartender include doing dishes, backing banquets, closing Tuesday through Saturday, any general help and of course serving drinks.

"I really enjoy working in the hospitality industry," Smith said. "I have moved my way up over two and a half years to bartender with hard work."

Share and discuss “Students Earn Top Bartenders of the Year Award” on social media.