Students Look Forward to Returning 'Home for the Holidays'

Thanksgiving brings family traditions to the table, and students are looking forward to returning home for the holidays.

"Every Thanksgiving since I can remember, my family has gone to my grandparents house to celebrate," said Christina McQuinn, sophomore in human development and family studies. "We always have ham and turkey, cooked by my grandfather, and my grandmother cooks all the trimmings, including her famous mashed potatoes."

The football atmosphere during Thanksgiving is one of the first things people think of outside of the dining room table traditions.

Claire Humphrey, freshman in hotel and restaurant management, said she and her family host a football competition every year consisting of punting, kicking and passing. She said the winner gets to go first in the Thanksgiving meal line.

Traditions seem to transfer from youngsters to college students.

"My grandmother puts a Sharpie star on the bottom of one of the plates," Humphrey said. "If you happen to choose the star plate you get a jar of coins that my grandmother had been saving since the Thanksgiving before."

Some students find it challenging to move back in with their parents for a week after living on their own.

"Every time I go home it feels different from when I was there on a daily basis," McQuinn said. "On Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is especially different having rules, and some sort of a curfew, living in my parents' house again. The time I do get to spend at home, with my family, is something I cherish though."

Brendan Christy, junior in management, said he enjoys going home because he gets a good home cooked meal.

"My favorite childhood memory from Thanksgiving would be making turkey cookies with my mom and sister," McQuinn said. "To make them, we used a cookie cutter shaped as a small hand. After we baked the cookies, we would put M&Ms on the fingers, for feathers, and one on the thumb, for the eye, making the cookie look like a turkey. This is definitely a memory that I'll never forget."

Spencer Maddox, senior in biomedical sciences, said he likes being home for the holidays because he does not get to go home often and the food is better there, as well as his parents being excited to see him.

"It'll definitely be relaxing, and I will probably be more aware of all my things after living in a dorm room," Humphrey said. "Having so much space will feel great."

Christy said he looks forward most to sleeping in and not having class for the week of Thanksgiving.

He said he also hopes to play golf with his dad while he is home.

Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family and also a time students enjoy sharing what they are thankful for.

McQuinn said her family has a Thanksgiving family game night. It doesn't matter what game it is, it always makes excellent memories and everyone always has a great time, McQuinn said.

"I'm thankful for the health and happiness of my family and friends," McQuinn said. "And of course, I'm thankful for Auburn University for giving me the opportunity to have a successful future."

It is never too late to start family traditions, from board games to football competitions.

Share and discuss “Students Look Forward to Returning 'Home for the Holidays'” on social media.