How To: Regift a Gift Without Getting Caught

To regift or not to regift is the question. Some may say it's a faux pas, and some may be more attuned to follow the "what they don't know won't hurt them" motto, but whatever the case may be, regifting is a serious issue.

MP Dunleavey wrote "12 rules for regifting" for MSN.com's Money Section. In the article, she explained the do's and don'ts of regifting.

Wynn Springer, junior in hotel and restaurant management, said regifting is a tacky, thoughtless way to get rid of gifts that one didn't want.

"Honestly, if you didn't like it, why would you want to give it to a close friend?" Springer said. Here are the do's and don'ts for regifting this year's holiday season:

1. "Don't mention it." This is where the "what they don't know won't hurt them" mantra applies. There is not a dignified way for someone to receive a gift knowing that it was previously a reject gift. As long as they believe you bought it for them, then, you bought it for them.

2. "Do update the wrapping." If you are going to regift, then at least have the respect to put the present in new wrapping paper.

3. "Don't give hand-me-downs as regifts." Ladies, yes your best friend may want a new pair of sexy lingerie, but not the pair you've worn once and realized couldn't fit you.

4. "Do keep track of who gave it to you first." One of the worst scenarios is giving the same gift someone gave to you, back to them.

5. "Don't EVER regift these items." This rule may be for the dodo brains, but it still must be listed.

Dunleavey said to never, under any circumstance, give anyone used candles, soap, CDs or products that haven't been made in the past five years.

6. "Do have the courtesy to clean your regifts." Dunleavey said it's OK to give wine glasses, just make sure the lipstick is wiped off the rim.

7. "Don't give partially used gift cards." Don't buy a gift card for someone and then proceed to use part of it for yourself.

8. "Do remember that regifts can be funny." Some people have a thing with their friends where they purposely give each other regifts in funny and clever ways.

9. "Do regift champagne." Dunleavey's article said that since wine gets better with age, it's OK to regift it.

10. "Do sell your gifts on eBay." If you don't like the idea of regifting, then selling the items to make some money may be the choice for you.

Share and discuss “How To: Regift a Gift Without Getting Caught” on social media.