Auburn Softball Prepares for 2010 Campaign

After earning back-to-back NCAA Regional appearances the last two seasons, the Auburn Softball team will look to build on that success in 2010.

The Tigers posted a 30-29 record in 2009 and captured a berth in the NCAA Atlanta Regional before being eliminated with a 5-0 loss to Boston University on the final day of regional play.

A new spring means a fresh start for the Tigers, and last season's early postseason exit has served as motivation for the 2010 season.

"Last year, we got pretty far into a regional, but we should've gotten further," said senior pitcher Anna Thompson. "I really feel like this year everybody has their heads in the right place and our priorities are straight and we're really all committed to making it as far as we can."

Preparation for this season began in the summer with offseason workouts and continued into September and October with the fall season.

Auburn finished the fall with an 8-0 record.

"The offseason went pretty well," said sophomore catcher Elizabeth Eisterhold. "We all worked really, really hard in workouts, got really good in shape and prepared and got faster and more in shape to get ready for the season."

Auburn returns 10 starters from last year's squad, including Thompson, Eisterhold and junior infielder Kyndall White, who hit .275 with five home runs and 19 RBI in 2009.

The Tigers also welcome in a class of freshmen to compete for playing time, headlined by Under Armour All-American and Joelton, Tenn., native Kelsey Cartwright.

With a lot of experienced players blended in with a talented group of incoming freshmen, head coach Tina Deese made it clear that starting spots will have to be earned through competition.

"We have a bunch of position battles going on right now," Deese said, who enters her 14th season at the helm. "In terms of just fighting for their position, (the players) have done a good job, but we've got a lot of competition going on."

Cartwright, sophomore Aurora Salter and junior Kelley Smiley, a junior college transfer, are battling for the third base job while sophomore Amber Harrison and junior Alicia Hunolt are in competition for the starting first base position.

White, sophomore Lauren Guzman and junior Megan Mitchell are vying for middle infield positions.

Smiley could also play shortstop or second base and adds quality depth.

Eisterhold will spend a majority of the innings behind the plate after leading all SEC catchers with a 55 percent caught stealing rate as a freshman.

Salter and freshman Caitlin Schultze also give the Tigers options at catcher, as both will see playing time this season.

The Tigers have a combination of experience and speed in the outfield.

Senior Lindsey Harrelson is the veteran of the group and will compete with juniors Caitlin Stangl and Katie Colton, sophomore Krista Clyde and freshmen Janelle Green and Baylee Stephens for starting outfield jobs.

The pitching staff is led by Thompson, who posted 15 wins and a team-best 2.28 ERA and 269 strikeouts a season ago.

Senior Holly Ragsdale and sophomores Angel Bunner, Jenee Loree and Lauren Schmalz round out the staff and will pitch key innings for the Tigers.

While there may be some uncertainty as to who will grab starting positions, Deese said that the camaraderie among her players and the leadership of the upperclassmen have been obvious.

"If chemistry means anything, this is a great group," Deese said. "One of the best I've ever had. They get along. They gel."

Deese pointed out the maturity and experience of Thompson and White, who, according to the head coach, have embraced their leadership roles.

"(Thompson) has stepped up in a big way in terms of guiding these guys in the right direction," Deese said. "And then you've got Kyndall White, who's a leader on the field. The girls look up to her. I really think those two are heading us in the right direction."

Auburn will be tested early and often as the Tigers open the 2010 season against Washington, the defending national champions, at the Kajikawa Classic on Feb. 11 in Tempe, Ariz.

The Tigers will also face quality opponents in Arizona State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Michigan, in addition to SEC play.

Deese gave a simple explanation for such a daunting schedule.

"If you want to get better, you're going to play the best," Deese said. "We look at it as opportunity. For us, let's go out, let's get them. We're going to take this year to just see how good we can be."

If everything goes right for the 2010 Auburn softball team, maybe it will be good enough to capture the ultimate goal -- a national championship.

Share and discuss “Auburn Softball Prepares for 2010 Campaign” on social media.