People of the Plains: Victoria Bott Keeps Students, Drivers Safe, Smiling

Ellison Langford/ NEWS EDITOR
Ellison Langford/ NEWS EDITOR

To the sound of transits accelerating, students drowsily shuffling across the crosswalk and the tweeting of her blue whistle, Victoria Bott directs traffic five days a week on Donahue Drive.

Bott, 49, guides drivers in the early morning and during lunchtime.

"I love it!" Bott said. "It's tons of fun."

Bott likened her job to a puzzle in which she has to make the passing vehicles and walking students all fit together.

Or, the "folks" as Bott likes to call them.

Bott said she has to make sure traffic doesn't get clogged during the intersection's peak hours while keeping pedestrians and drivers safe.

However, this difficulty is compounded by students and drivers talking and texting on their cell phones, Bott said.

Bott is originally from Lake Worth, Fla., but moved to Auburn eight years ago because her boyfriend graduated from the University.

Bott got into directing traffic while working as a security guard for another company.

She said she had a friend who worked at CPO Security and Bott asked if the company needed more help.

Bott was soon given a job directing traffic for CPO Security.

She also works in the office as office manager.

But as soon as Bott started her job directing traffic, she quickly became known around the University for her upbeat personality and enthusiasm for her job.

"Most people are nice," Bott said. "They'll wave at me and smile. The other ones are just like, 'Curse her!'"

Despite her few detractors, Bott continues in her attempt to keep Auburn drivers and students safe, smiling and laughing as she does it.

"I try to be pleasant with everyone," Bott said. "I'm everybody's cheerleader."

Share and discuss “People of the Plains: Victoria Bott Keeps Students, Drivers Safe, Smiling” on social media.