Two Auburn Actresses Appear in Recent Movies

"The Last Song" may not be the last casting opportunity for one of Auburn's recently discovered actresses.

Abby Hamann, sophomore in elementary education, landed a spot at the end of Miley Cyrus' upcoming movie "The Last Song" after a friend told her to submit her picture for a part as an extra.

"I didn't really know what I was going to be doing because I sent in my picture and a little bit about myself to a casting director, and he ended up calling me to tell me that he wanted me to come down the next day or something," Hamann said.

Hamann appeared in a scene where she and another actress were on the beach, and Cyrus walked toward them.

"We laugh at her and give her mean looks," Hamann said.

That kind of behavior seems unlikely for Hamann, but she is good at molding into a character, said Ashley Ahner, senior in finance and friend of Hamann.

"I'm not saying she's intimidating, but she can be rough if she needs to be," Ahner said. "It's funny because she's only about a hundred pounds and not scary to anyone."

Shelley Hamann, Abby's mother, said Hamann has had opportunities such as competitive cheerleading and dance, strengthening her ability to perform in front of people since childhood.

"She is outgoing and not afraid to try new things," Shelley said. "She is assured in her own personality, has a level head on her shoulders and is comfortable with who she is, and she never meets a stranger."

Even so, Hamann said she was overwhelmed upon arriving on set for two weekends in Tybee Island, Ga.

"It was really hectic (on set) because there were a bunch of people racing around, and I just felt like it was almost kind of stressful," Hamann said. "It was fun to see how everything worked."

This was Hamann's first time acting in anything.

"I had no idea how much time went into filming," Hamann said. "I learned a lot more than I knew before about how movies are made."

Hamann spent two weekends filming and is now just waiting for "The Last Song" to be released in April, Hamann said.

"At one of Miley's concerts, they were playing clips from the movie behind her," Hamann said. "I had a bunch of people message me on Facebook and text me saying they saw me on the big screen."

Hamann keeps her focus on college and school work despite her recent success in acting, Shelley said.

"I think (acting) is something that she really enjoys doing and would like to do again, but she has her goals planned out," Shelley said.

Taking a blind leap into "The Blind Side," Lindsey Holland made her way onto the big screen in one of the top grossing films of 2009.

Holland, senior in communication, appeared in a scene at the end of the movie.

"(The players) immediately turn their heads and watch us walk by," Holland said. "It's a really funny scene."

Holland said "The Blind Side" was her first role in a motion picture.

"I was just supposed to be an extra," Holland said, "but when I got there, they told me to walk down and say that line."

Sabrina Sikora Productions in Holland's hometown of Macon, Ga., sent her photograph and personal information to the directors, Holland said.

Aside from her experience with commercials, Holland said she also took the beginning theater class and learned basic skills while having a great time.

"We talk a lot about how to flush out two-dimensional words on the page to a three-dimensional character," said Chase Bringardner, Holland's theater professor.

The class serves as a general introduction to the basic skills an actor needs through various speech, movement, listening and responding exercises, Bringardner said.

"Sometimes, people just have a natural gift, and no matter how hard someone else might try to learn, it may just not work out," Bringardner said. "The actors I tend to like are those students are those who don't make it as much about themselves as they do about the other actors on stage around them."

Pam Holland, Lindsey's mother, said Lindsey has been aware of her natural abilities since she was young.

"She has been interested in (acting) since she was three," Pam said.

Holland's family and friends have been excited and supportive of her recent success, Holland said.

"This is kind of tacky, but I almost peed in my pants because I was so excited," Pam said. "I don't think there's another feeling like it in the world."

Even so, Holland's family reminds her that school comes first.

"Lindsey probably could have gotten a lot more roles, but her college education has always been our priority and will continue to be so," Pam said. "I told her that once she gets her diploma, then she can worry about going after more."

Holland said when auditions conflict with her class schedule, she will not sacrifice missing class for auditioning for a part.

"I really enjoy acting, and not that many people really get to make it big," Holland said. "For me, I just don't want this role to be the last one."

Share and discuss “Two Auburn Actresses Appear in Recent Movies” on social media.