Burn calories, not money

With spring break over a month away, students looking to increase their workout schedules may be baffled by the array of choices offered in Auburn. From pricier places to free fitness, students can customize their workout routines with these options.

Gold's Gym would not release any prices, because they wanted people to focus on fitness, said John Goodwin, manager.

"It may seem like a lot until you look at the quality of the gym and the amenities we offer," Goodwin said. Gold's Gym offers group exercise classes yoga, such as spinning and bodypump, as well as a cardio theater, tanning and many other amenities.

Between the newer Gold's Gym on East University, the Gold's Gym on Opelika Road and AC Fitness for Women, members can access whichever of the three gyms is most convenient, Goodwin said.

However, students may not make full use of the amenities and multiple gyms. Virginia Casey, junior in hotel and restaurant management, said she did not think it through when signing up for a Gold's Gym membership.

Casey said that even though the facility was very nice, the $50 she pays each month is too much because she usually just uses the treadmills.

"I wasn't thinking when I got it; it's not worth it to me," Casey said. "But I am still glad I have it especially in the winter when it's cold out."

However, others may want to take advantage of the array of options and can contact any of the Gold's Gyms for information.

Because some may be hesitant to sign up for a potentially pricey contract, other places are offering more flexible schedules. World Gym on South

College Street, for example, has a month to month plan so students don't feel locked in to a contact, said Joey Young, owner.

"Students like the flexibility of our contract and price," Young said. "Truly, it does not look like a $20 gym, we have some really nice stuff in here."

Young said they have amenities such as a ladies' section, which is a work out area only for women, cardio area, free weights and a classroom with core equipment, among other features.

World Gym only offers one class called Back to the Basics, taught by a trainer, but it is free and offered at least twice a week.

For more information, go to worldgym.com. Yoga Ananda, located on South Gay Street, also offers a flexible contract. According to the Web site, students can pay per class, per month or per year with increased sav-

ings per package. Beginning with $15 per class and going up to $480 per year, students can choose whichever package best suits them.

Yoga Ananda offers several classes, such as Yin, Hatha and Vinyasa, as well as workshops for all levels of yoga practice.

For more information and class schedule, go to yogaananda.org.

There is the option of not paying anything at all and using what is provided.

Justin Foster, senior in English, said he uses the

Student Activities Center because he wanted to take advantage of what the University offers.

"They have a decent amount of free weights, but it's hard to find what you want since all the labels are peeled off and there isn't enough space," Foster said.

Foster said he thinks the best part about the Student Act is that it is free to students and faculty.

But, Foster said he wished he could be here to exercise after the Student Act is renovated.

According to the Auburn Student Act Web site, the renovation will expand the Student Act to include a sand volleyball court, golf simulator and rock climbing wall in addition to standard gym features.

Currently, the Student Act offers a variety of classes, such as Pilates, Zumba, Bootcamp and circuit training. They have two cardio rooms, machine weights, free weights and nal training.

For more information go to auburn.edu/student_ info/student_life/recreation.

For students preferring more creative options, the Salsa Club and the Auburn Swing Dancing Association offer free weekly dance classes for students at various levels; check out their Facebook pages for more information.

Whether it's enjoying TV on the treadmill or dancing the night away, students will have a hard time finding an excuse not to get in shape this spring.

Share and discuss “Burn calories, not money” on social media.