City council recognizes, thanks SGA representatives

Anna Twardy and Trevor Ramsey received recognition for their hard work serving as the director and assistant director of city relations for the SGA during Tuesday night's City Council meeting.

Ramsey reminded those attending the meeting of the races for SGA president and vice president, as well as the race for Miss Auburn. He also said there will be a blood drive Feb. 17 and 18 held in the ballroom on the third floor of the Student Center. This will be the last blood drive of the year. Ramsey said next year it is hoped bone marrow swabs can be incorporated.

Ten local residents attended the City Council meeting Feb. 16 to call attention to the issue of Auburn High School students parking off campus in nearby residential areas.

The citizens explained their primary concern was safety. David Trouse said the students' cars parked along roads leave less than 18 feet for two lanes of traffic, which he said is insufficient. Another concern is the safety of pedestrians crossing roads.

According to the residents, these vehicles block mailboxes and trash cans, preventing residents from receiving those services.

The group agreed that there are no spaces for an emergency vehicle to park near a home should there be a crisis. Moreover, there is no room for residents or their guests to park along the curb.

The citizens have discussed this with Auburn High School officials. The school's handbook states that students are not permitted to park off campus to attend school, but the school cannot enforce this policy.

The Council said it would look further into the issue.

The installation of a camera security system for the Municipal Parking Deck that will cost $32,291.28 was approved by the Council.

A representative from Kodiak Management Company, LLC requested a taxpayer waiver for $17,261.50. University Heights at Auburn is owned by 30 people. These people recognized there are serious financial issues with the property. The property was initially under the management of Evergreen, but Kodiak has taken over management.

The representative said Evergreen failed to pay a business license fee on time for 2009. The first month the fee is late, 15 percent interest is charged. After the first month, the interest rate increases to 30 percent as defined by state law.

He requested the fee be waived so the money saved could go to help improving the property.

The representative said the impact of the fee would be severe because of the current conditions of the property.

Council members said they were conflicted about whether to waive the fee, but settled on allowing the financial director to arrange a payment plan.

Share and discuss “City council recognizes, thanks SGA representatives” on social media.