Italians Say 'Ciao' to Auburn

For some, thinking about Italy conjures images of famous ruins in Rome, fashion in Milan or romantic gondola rides in Venice.

After attending L'ora Del Caffe, the Italian Conversation Hour, thoughts center on food, family and fun.

A group of students and professors met in the Eagle's Nest South in Haley Center to enjoy some Italian sweets and practice their conversation skills Monday afternoon.

The conversation hour, which is free and open to the public, will meet March 29 and April 19. The sweets featured at the event were Italian Easter cake with candied fruits and almonds, Quadratinis, which are crispy wafers with flavored creams such as dark chocolate and hazelnut, blood orange soda and coffee.

Tacara Bedell, sophomore in apparel design, attended the conversation hour because she said she wants to get more involved with the Italian club.

Bedell said she hopes to travel with Auburn human sciences to Ariccia, Italy, before she is a senior.

"If I got the opportunity to go, I would want to know the language," Bedell said.

For Giovanna Summerfield, Italian professor, family is the most important part of her Italian upbringing.

Bedell said even though she moved away from her family when her husband was in the Air Force, she remains in close contact with them.

Not only is she connected by telephone and e-mail, but also regular trips to Italy to visit relatives reveal her strong sense of the value of family felt by all Italians.

One of Summerfield's most popular Italian classes was offered this past spring with 91 students enrolled.

The class focused on a popular Italian theme -- the Mafia. The course looked at differences between the American cinema idea of mafia and the actual, historical mafia of Italy.

The Hollywood version is romanticized and focuses on the importance of family, while the mafia of Italian history is more serious and dramatic.

Summerfield said her ultimate desire is to revamp the Italian language program and persuade students who have a passion for all things Italian.

One instructor who is doing sot is Audrey Martinko, who is in her first semester teaching at Auburn.

Martinko makes learning Italian fun by incorporating activities into her teaching.

Martinko introduces the class to Italian artists with songs, music videos and dances from YouTube. Other lessons included making paper pizzas and chocolate tasting.

Martinko does not get to share as much with her Elementary I classes because there are so many basics to cover and there is not enough time, but she hopes it encourages them to continue to the next level.

For a bit of Italian culture, Martinko said to watch Tiziano Ferro's "Indietro."

"Trust me, you do not have to know Italian to enjoy it," Martinko said.

Share and discuss “Italians Say 'Ciao' to Auburn” on social media.