Love Your Heart Run Promotes Health and Raises Money

On Saturday, Feb. 6, runners, bikers and supporters packed Chewacla State Park for the 21st annual Love Your Heart Run.

As of Friday afternoon, 335 people registered to partake in the event which benefits Lee County's special needs programs. Between 100 and 175 more people registered the day of the event.

The event, started by the East Alabama Medical Center to raise funds for a cardiac unit, was taken over by the Exceptional Outreach Organization of Lee County in 2004.

Alison Hall, the community programs director for the City of Auburn, said the event has been a great success since the EOO took over.

Because of the success of the run, the EOO expanded the event to include a bike ride and moved the event location, Hall said.

Saturday was the 3rd annual Crank Your Heart Ride.

"The Crank was added as another component to add more money and because we knew there were a lot of bikers in town with limited events to participate in," Hall said.

Hall said holding the event at Chewacla allows for a more challenging course for the athletes and a safer location for security purposes, which also draws more people.

Another key to its success is the various events offered. The Love Your Heart Run participants were able to choose between a 10k and a 1-mile race, while the Crank Your Heart Ride participants had a choice of a 3.5-mile ride, an 11-ride and a 22-mile ride.

Each race was divided into male and female age groups, allowing the competition to be as fair as possible.

For some, this allows a unique opportunity to participate locally in both the run and ride.

"I'm using this to gauge my fitness and it's a good cause, so I couldn't pass it up," said Ben Nemec, a graduate student in hotel and restaurant management who is training for a half Ironman Triathlon.

While Nemec and fellow Auburn student Christopher Rhodes, junior in physical education, used this as a competition gauge, others did it for their love of the sport and for the charity.

"Initially I was going to run the 10k because I just love running," said Joel Leavins, junior in math education and Spanish. However, when I read what it was about it made me want to do it that much more."

While many Auburn students did participate, both as participants and as volunteers, many members of the community came out, including a group of students from Richland Road Elementary.

Participants paid a set registration fee depending on which event they were entering and were given a long-sleeved T-shirt, as well as coupons from local sponsors including Kinnucans, Findley's Eatery and Chik-fil-A.

Furthermore, the top three place winners of each age group were awarded a prize and were entered for the Grand Prize which was a 3-day, 2-night stay at the San Destin Hampton Inn and Suites. The top three overall winners also received medals.

While the winners might have felt they walked away with the best prize, Hall said he believes it is the children with special needs who benefit the most.

"One $20 entry fee pays for one week of camp for a child, which shocks a lot of people," Hall said. "That includes snacks, field trips and everything. You can't beat that."

Share and discuss “Love Your Heart Run Promotes Health and Raises Money” on social media.