Pump up the work out

For those who want to mix up their workout routine, Auburn's Campus Recreation Department has introduced Turbo Jam within the lifetime and fitness program to better fit the workout needs of students.

"We try something new every semester, and this semester is Turbo Jam," said fitness coordinator Pamela Wiggins.

Although Turbo Jam helps tone the body, it is mainly a cardiovascular exercise with many styles of kicks to work out both upper and lower body as well as add variety to your workout.

"It's a great way to stay in shape and have fun," said group fitness instructor Megan Steele. "If you work out alone you often get bored with it and that's why people quit, but if it's a lot of fun like Turbo Jam you're more likely to go through with the program."

The class is taught Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and consists mainly of women, but Wiggins said she hopes those numbers will change along with the program.

"We will have our first male teacher this fall," Wiggins said.

"He will teach yoga, an area where we see more guys because of the flexibility aspect, and hopefully bring in more people."

Wiggins said the program saw 8,500 participants total last year, a number that has already been reached this semester.

"I think it is a fun class," said Haley Hegetschweiler, senior in radio, television and film. "I like that it is fast-paced, and that there is loud music and I would definitely take the class again."

Wiggins said they are ahead of where they thought they would be at this time.

"We started with six classes and are now to about 44," Wiggins said. "Everyone is excited about the growth and hope to reach 20,000 participants by the end of the spring semester."

Wiggins believes a key to the survival of the program is to train students to be able to teach the Turbo Jam classes.

As a result, the program offers free group fitness instructor training for those interested.

"I've always enjoyed group fitness and all the energy that is involved in it," Steele said. "When I had the chance to train I jumped at the opportunity and now I teach Step, Turbo Jam and Butts and Guts."

Wiggins said although the program is working, she would like to see an improvement in the communication within the program.

"We're starting an e-mail newsletter," Wiggins said. "This way we can stay in touch and get information out there quickly to those who are interested in helping the program."

Share and discuss “Pump up the work out” on social media.