Guy's Guide: Have fun dates for $20

A relationship doesn't have to consist of nights spent at home on the couch when the funds run low: Auburn has many places for a date under $20. Yes, guys, watching sports on TV with a six-pack of beer and pizza is under $20, but that may not be most girls' ideal night in. Emily Walters, junior in nutrition dietetics, said she and her boyfriend do little things to make a casual night in special. "We'll do something that is a treat for us, like pick up steaks and wine at Kroger, and then take it home to cook it ourselves and watch a movie," Walters said. "So it's special, but it's less expensive than eating out."

For those lacking culinary skills, there are several places in Auburn where a unique date could take place. Fine Wine and Beer by Gus in Flint's Crossing offers wine and beer tasting each week, said Richard Talbot, an employee. Talbot said they offer wine tasting Friday from 6-8 p.m., during which people can taste five to six wines with cheese, dried fruit and nuts for snacking. For men still clinging to the six-pack idea, Talbot also said they offer Saturday beer tasting from 3-5 p.m. with a tasting of five to six beers and snacks. Wine and beer tasting is $10 a person, making the cost an even $20 for a couple.

Couples craving sweet treats can go to Ariccia's "Simply Sinful Saturday Nights," where according to Ariccia's Web site, a chocolate bar with over twenty desserts is set up from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at $8.50 a person. For the more artistic, a crafty date cannot only be a fun experience, but the finished product can be a memorable present. Pottery Cafe in the GlennDean Shopping Center provides paint, pottery and coffee where couples can make a personalized gifts. The store is open Tuesday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Perch Bead Studio is another place where couples can be creative. According to the store's Web site, making jewelry is less expensive than buying it already made and is more memorable than a store bought piece. For couples wanting to get out of Auburn, a mini-road trip can offer a brief break. "My girlfriend and I recently went to Little Five Points in Atlanta," said Michael Puhnaty, junior in electrical engineering. Puhnaty said they did not spend much because they were able to get to Atlanta on a quarter tank of gas.

"We went to The Porter, which is a really cool place for college students because the food is inexpensive and it is an excellent opportunity to people-watch," Puhnaty said. "My girlfriend also liked being able to go into all the cool shops." So guys, slap down the $20 for that special girl. After all, it is better to be broke than broken hearted.

Share and discuss “Guy's Guide: Have fun dates for $20” on social media.