Students Ditch Beach To Make Impact

Forty-six Auburn students exchanged lounging on the beach for community service as part of IMPACT's second annual Alternative Spring Break program. "Essentially, (Alternative Spring Break) was created two years ago as a way for students to give back during their breaks from school," said IMPACT President Christen Thigpen, senior in biomedical sciences. "It's a way for students to give back to other communities that are in need and have a little bit of an enjoyable time while they're there, too."

Some students, in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity, went to Spartanburg, S.C., and Ocala, Fla., to help build houses for the poor. Other students spent six days in Orange Beach, Fla., working with Challenge Enterprises at the Lighthouse Learning Center Preschool to help children with disabilities. Students paid $150, according to ASB coordinator Rachel Coffey, junior in communication disorders. The amount, which covered travel, lodging and meal expenses, was earned through fundraisers.

The students worked from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. "I think it puts a good name out there for Auburn," said Coffey, who made the trek to Orange Beach last week. "It shows that we care about people outside our community." Coffey also said the students' experiences have had a lasting impression on them, resulting in additional community service locally. "It's hard to put the experience into words," said Lucy Mitchell, an undeclared junior, who went to Charleston, S.C., last year to work with Habitat for Humanity. "We got to see a few people who were moving into the Habitat houses and it changed my life forever. They were so grateful."

Mitchell said she was humbled after seeing the reactions of the people who would be enjoying the fruits of her labor and her experience served as a learning tool. "I learned that the most important thing is putting others before yourself," Mitchell said. "It is really easy, especially as a college student, to get caught up in things like grades and work, but when I saw the impact we had on these people's lives, it made me realize that it is really important to help others out." The program is growing in popularity, with three locations this year as opposed to one last year. With the number of applicants increasing each year, Thigpen said the number of sites could expand to 10 for future trips. Thigpen said seeing the students' eagerness to make a difference in the lives of people through the ASB program gives her a rewarding feeling.

"It certainly makes me feel very humble and very proud of the students who are going out and doing this," Thigpen said. "It gives me a certain sense of pride in the Auburn community and the Auburn student body to know that students are giving up what would otherwise be a break from school and instead, going back and giving back to other communities."

Share and discuss “Students Ditch Beach To Make Impact” on social media.