Congress Overrides Veto, Allows Stronger Wine Sales

Bingo machines are not the only things Gov. Bob Riley seems to want to keep out of Alabama.

Last week Riley vetoed a bill that would allow the sale of stronger wine in Alabama grocery stores, convenience stores and other retail stores.

"I think he's been pretty consistent in being against expanding liquor sales" said Sen. Scott Beason (R-Gardendale). "I don't want to speak for him, but I think he believes we have enough problems with what we have."

However, both the Alabama House and Senate overrode the veto last week, and the bill will now become law. It will allow the sale of wine with up to 24 percent alcohol content.

The previous limit was 16.5 percent.

Gus Clark, owner of Fine Wine and Beer by Gus, said last year Riley allowed the alcohol limit to be raised from 14.9 to 16.4.

"He already supported what he thought was reasonable," Clark said.

Little said he was surprised Riley decided to veto this particular measure.

"I think the Senate decided to override the veto because it was not that much of an increase," Little said. "Frankly, based upon what other states have already proven to us, the amount of sales volume that has increased as far as benefiting states that are strapped for money right now has been noticeable."

The taxation on wine with higher alcohol content will bring in an additional 2.64 percent that wouldn't normally be made with regular wine purchases.

"I think the legislation just felt that if we could possibly bring more money into the state and take advantage of tourism and people coming through the state on the way to Florida, then we wanted to give them incentive to purchase wine that's for sale in Alabama," Little said.

The proceeds of the higher tax will be distributed with 37 percent going to the Alcoholic Beverage Control board; 34 percent to the state general fund, which runs all of the state government outside of education; 20.8 percent to the Department of Human Services and 8.2 percent to the Department of Mental Health.

"We do have enough problems with the alcohol content we have," Beason said. "It just doesn't make a lot of sense. People can already get drunk off of beer that has very little alcohol content."

Clark said he has already received positive feedback from customers in his store.

"The House and the Senate both believe in making these products available," Clark said. "They're taking the sides of the people of Alabama at this point."

Share and discuss “Congress Overrides Veto, Allows Stronger Wine Sales” on social media.