Bree Bowen / WRITER

News

Congress Overrides Veto, Allows Stronger Wine Sales

Bingo machines are not the only things Gov. Bob Riley seems to want to keep out of Alabama.Last week Riley vetoed a bill that would allow the sale of stronger wine in Alabama grocery stores, convenience stores and other retail stores."I think he's been pretty consistent in being against expanding liquor sales" said Sen.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Softball Loses to Mississippi State

The Auburn softball team fell short in a doubleheader against the Mississippi State Bulldogs Wednesday night. "They were close ball games, and those are the ball games you like to watch because both teams are fighting for the win," said sophomore infielder Amber Harrison.In game one, the Tigers tied the game 1-1 in the bottom of the second inning when junior infielder Kelley Smiley hit the ball to bring home sophomore catcher Elizabeth Eisterhold from third base.

News

Can Animals Be Gay?

For as long as scientists have been studying animals, any behavior observed that could be deemed "homosexual" has usually been overlooked and thought of as practice for when it comes time to actually mate.Until now.Recently, biologists have begun to look at same-sex animal relationships in a more serious manner."Here's the problem: we know that animals engage in same sex mounting, so we call it homosexual," said Linda Wolfe, physical anthropologist with a specialization in primates at East Carolina University.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Myriad 0f Eggs Hunted On Easter

Peter Cottontail hopped down the bunny trail a day early as Auburn and Opelika celebrated Easter Saturday.Opelika Parks and Recreation hosted Easter on the Square in downtown Opelika, a day filled with egg-tivities like face painting, sidewalk chalk drawing, cookie decorating, an egg hunt and a parade around the square.Approximately 2,000 people gathered with friends and family in front of the courthouse to enjoy the celebration."I've been with Opelika Parks and Recreation for 27 years, and when I was a little kid they were doing this," said Sam Bailey, assistant director for parks and recreation.

Campus

Jog For Justice

It costs $500 to bring just one person back to the United States after being trafficked. To promote human rights awareness, the International Justice Mission chapter at Auburn University, a human rights organization that works to free victims of human trafficking, slavery and domestic violence in East Asia, Southeast Asia, India and Africa, sponsored a 5K March 28.

More articles »