Hunt Seat Earns Second Place at Nationals

After defeating No. 10-seed Kansas State, 7-1, and No. 3-seed South Carolina, 6-2, the No. 2-seed Auburn Equestrian team fell to the No. 1-seed Georgia in the Championship, 5-3.

The Western team, however, was knocked-off after losing 4-3 to No. 10-seed South Carolina and to No. 3-seed Oklahoma State, 6-2.

"I am just so proud of this team," said coach Greg Williams. "They are a very deserving team, and I wish we could have won a National Championship, because I've never seen a team deserve it as much, but that doesn't always mean you get it. "

Sophomore Western rider Kristin Hansen said the seniors were very supportive of both teams and kept the morale of the team high throughout.

"We are one team; we don't try to separate ourselves into Western and Hunt Seat; we're all in it together," Hansen said. "The Hunt Seat team was really supportive of us even though they weren't getting the overall championship because we didn't do well. They didn't put it on us or anything."

In the Hunt Seat Championship, Auburn saw winners in Equitation on the Flat in junior Ali Loprete and sophomore Maggie McAlary, tying with Georgia 2-2.

McAlary was the sole winner for the Tigers in equitation on the flat, which the Tigers lost to the Bulldogs 3-1, but fell in the individual competition.

"It's a weird feeling to know that was your last shot as an Auburn athlete," said senior Hunt Seat rider Katie Breedlove. "I feel as though everyone gave it their best, and it just didn't come out the way we hoped."

Another winner for the Tigers was Clifford the horse, who won Most Valuable Horse and the judges favorite.

"What I got most tickled about was how important that became to the girls and how the horses performed," Williams said. "When Clifford was named the Most Valuable Horse at Nationals, I swear that meant more to them than if they had won the National Championship."

Share and discuss “Hunt Seat Earns Second Place at Nationals” on social media.