Molenveld Brings Passion

Young Myrthe Molenveld was a soccer coach's daughter and potential soccer star living in the Netherlands.

Now, she is a tennis player at a Division I school in Alabama.

Her winding life path began at 7 when she discovered her athletic calling.

"I saw everybody playing tennis around me and on TV and in the newspaper, and I liked what the girls were wearing," Molenveld said. "And I wanted to play tennis."

At 10, Molenveld started to take tennis seriously, participating in tournaments and playing four to five times a week, up from one to two before.

While playing tournaments, a person associated with the Netherlands national team asked her to join.

"Once I went to high school I stated playing tennis full-time," Molenveld said. "I went to school three days a week, and I practiced in the morning and the afternoon. I played about five hours a day."

Next for Molenveld was America and the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

She said she misses the food in the Netherlands--her mom's food.

The transportation situation in America was also odd, Molenveld said.

In the Netherlands, people ride public transportation, walk or bike.

But in America, everyone has a car.

"After two years I decided to transfer to a bigger, higher level of tennis," Molenveld said. "I really enjoyed Auburn on my visit, so I picked Auburn."

Two years of tennis at Auburn and loads of memories, like beating No. 13 nationally-ranked, No. 1 Ole Miss doubles team this year with her doubles partner, freshman Paulina Schippers, as well as time spent with her teammates and coaches.

Another memory that stands out to Molenveld: her last match.

"I was emotional, because it might be the last one," Molenveld said. "If you win, you're still playing. I don't know. I'm already getting bored a little bit this week. I have so much free time. I'm not used to that."

Though Molenveld's tennis eligibility is finished, she plans to stay around Auburn and finish her degree in international business.

"Next year I'm going to hopefully be around the team a lot because I won't graduate until next May, because this is my passion; I love it," Molenveld said.

Post-Auburn, Molenveld said she plans on coaching.

"Hopefully after next year I can help out a little bit, and I would like to apply for the graduate assistant and be an assistant coach and then get into a coaching position, because that's what I want to do, be a college coach myself," Molenveld said.

Share and discuss “Molenveld Brings Passion” on social media.