Myriad 0f Eggs Hunted On Easter

Peter Cottontail hopped down the bunny trail a day early as Auburn and Opelika celebrated Easter Saturday.

Opelika Parks and Recreation hosted Easter on the Square in downtown Opelika, a day filled with egg-tivities like face painting, sidewalk chalk drawing, cookie decorating, an egg hunt and a parade around the square.

Approximately 2,000 people gathered with friends and family in front of the courthouse to enjoy the celebration.

"I've been with Opelika Parks and Recreation for 27 years, and when I was a little kid they were doing this," said Sam Bailey, assistant director for parks and recreation. "It's been a great venue up here."

More than 25,000 eggs were scattered around the area in different sections for toddlers, preschoolers and first through third graders. A flash light egg hunt was held on Thursday for older children.

"I wanted my children to have a good time, especially my daughter," said Keith Rhyne, joined by his children Katie and Kyle. "It's the last year she can do it."

Once the signal was made for the start of the hunt, a frenzy of children dressed in pink, yellow and green scampered in chaos until the grass was clear of eggs.

Afterward children sat with their parents to sort through the bounty to see which eggs held the best trinket or treat.

A few miles away in Auburn, a similar celebration took place in Kiesel Park.

The City of Auburn Parks and Recreation hosted its 29th Annual Easter Egg Hunt, sponsored by Wachovia.

The egg hunt is one of the largest in Lee County, featuring more than 30,000 eggs.

"It's just a fun day to spend really as a family more than anything else," said Dan Gibbons, joined by sons Lee and John.

Each egg held an age appropriate prize for each of the four age groups, from 3 years old to 12.

The prizes ranged from small toys to prize slips, such as coupons for Chick-fil-A.

The most coveted of eggs were two golden ones which held $50 savings bonds from Wachovia. They were found by Brian Armbruster, 4, and Luke Burgess, 11.

"We encourage everyone to stay after the hunt, because we don't do some of the events the other communities do," said Alison Hall, community programs director with Auburn Parks and Recreation. "We want ours to be more of a laid-back family picnic kind of atmosphere."

For the rest of the day, families enjoyed music, picture taking with the Easter bunny and free soft drinks.

Hamburgers and hotdogs were provided by The Greater Kiwanis Club of Auburn with proceeds benefiting needy families through the community.

Share and discuss “Myriad 0f Eggs Hunted On Easter” on social media.