Student Employees Honored

Members of the Auburn community celebrated the 2010 Student Employee of the Year Awards Thursday afternoon, part of National Student Employment Week. The annual awards program was sponsored by Career Development Services and held at the Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center.

Reed Forbus, senior in hotel and restaurant management, won the off-campus category for his work with the Auburn Hotel and Conference Center. Justin Hayles, senior in information systems management, won the on-campus category for his achievements in the Office of Professional and Continued Education.

"It validates everything I've worked hard for over the past two years here," Forbus said. "It just means a lot that I meant enough to my supervisors to nominate me and then to finally win the award."

The 14 on-campus and four off-campus nominees were chosen by their respective employers and their qualifications and achievements submitted to a selection committee of volunteers composed of Auburn University and area employers.

"I was really impressed with the quality of the candidates that we had this year," said Meaghan Lee, event organizer and graduate assistant for Career Development Services.

"I know it was very difficult for the selection committee to make their choice because everyone was highly qualified and they seemed like great people and great employees."

Leigh Ann Ballard, selection committee member and a student employer for the school of pharmacy, said the importance of the award was in recognizing students who had gotten an early start on professional behavior. Ballard said the nominees had all met strict requirements of professionalism, including high morals and a strong work ethic.

"We older people have a lot to learn from our student employees and our students as well," Ballard said.

Ballard said technology and fresh ideas on old systems such as filing or event planning were areas where employers benefited from student employees.

When it came down to picking the on-campus winner, Ballard said the selection committee made the difficult decision by examining the long-term effects of Hayles' work.

"He has a global knowledge of the university, and what he can leave as a legacy to the department where he works will continue on for years and years to come," Ballard said. "His contributions will be felt a long time from now, because they're so significant."

Share and discuss “Student Employees Honored” on social media.