David Norwood / ASSISTANT MULTIMEDIA EDITOR

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Rain Can't Dampen Festivities

The 10th anniversary of Auburn's CityFest drew hundreds of vendors, performers and daytrippers to Kiesel Park Saturday, making for a slightly damp day of recreation.Morning showers and the threat of severe weather forced an early closing to CityFest, hosted by the Auburn Department of Parks and Recreation."We had a little more rain than sunshine this year, but our vendors and our volunteers and our sponsors and our citizens stuck with us and we had a great year," said Meg Rainey, Auburn CityFest co-coordinator.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Student Employees Honored

Members of the Auburn community celebrated the 2010 Student Employee of the Year Awards Thursday afternoon, part of National Student Employment Week. The annual awards program was sponsored by Career Development Services and held at the Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center.

News

Freshwater Fish Fight For Food Nearby

The weather's sudden change toward warmer temperatures tells Clay Messer, Auburn University Bass Sports Club founding member, exactly what he wants to hear.The fish are biting."This is my favorite time of year because they're shallow," Messer said.The civil engineering graduate student said rising water temperatures bring fish from deeper water to spawn, making it easy for anyone to have a busy day at the lake.It's the start of the most popular fishing season and many Auburn students grab rods, reels and tackle boxes."If the magnolias are blooming, it's a good time for crappie," said Roy Ryan, senior in physical education.Auburn has a central location to several bodies of water, which gives the area's fishing enthusiasts a diversity of species and a convenience unique to the area."Auburn's a great area to be in," said Jan Swain, faculty advisor for the AU Bass Sports Club.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Founder of TOMS Shoes Speaks at Auburn

Hundreds of Auburn students gathered in the Student Center ballroom Wednesday evening, standing in line for tickets, looking for seats and waiting patiently for the UPC speaking event to start.On almost every foot, in almost every direction could be seen the same style of canvas loafer, a badge that signified the crowd's devotion to the cause of speaker Blake Mycoskie, the entrepreneur and philanthropist founder of TOMS Shoes.

News

Library focuses on fun during break

Spending spring break in a library may not sound like an ideal vacation, but for Eve Kneeland and hundreds of students from Auburn City schools, it was four days filled with fun and games."It's a much more casual week for us and we're not worried about helping the kids with their afterschool homework," said Kneeland, head of youth services for Auburn Public Library.

News

Museum of East Alabama Tribute

Local history enthusiasts and music lovers gathered in the ballroom of the Auburn University Hotel and Dixon Conference Center Thursday evening in support of the Museum of East Alabama.It was the museum's main fundraiser for the year and featured Tim Wells in a production of "Nat King Cole: As I Knew Him," a one man show written by Wells and Wade Hall and directed by Margie Benson.

More articles »