Tips For Fuss-Free Filing

For the inexperienced, these last two weeks of tax season could be the right time to learn how to file taxes.

Taxes are due April 15 of every year.

"If you're a student, it is important that you know if you are being claimed on your parents return," said Nancy Fritschner, account at Fritschner and Bremen LLC

Fritschner said that while online programs are helpful, a Certified Public Accountant firm is always the best way to do taxes.

She said the customer brings in their information to an experienced accountant, answers questions and leaves. The accountant then prepares the return for the customer to pick up later.

"We make sure that everything is done right," Fritschner said. "Then, we explain if you owe money in taxes or if you will get a refund."

Brian Grice, senior in wildlife sciences, filed his own taxes for the first time in 2007.

"It's not as stressful as it seems, but it can be confusing the first time you do it," Grice said.

He said had trouble at first because the vocabulary on the tax forms is not the same as the terms used on the W2. Once Grice figured out the vocabulary, he said it was quick and easy to finish.

Grice recommends students filing their taxes for the first time use an online program, such as TurboTax, to avoid confusion.

"TurboTax gave me step by step instructions and guided me through the whole process," said Shaye Smith, senior in public relations.

Smith said this was her first year attempting to file her own taxes, and she was pleased with the help the online program provided.

"I will definitely be using it again next year," Smith said. "I know it would have taken me much longer if I did it on my own."

The IRS Web site offers free tax help, while Web sites like TurboTax charge for their services.

Grice said the only problem he encountered with filing his own taxes was failing to claim student loans and living expenses. "I found out that by doing it yourself, you don't realize some things you can claim for tax returns,"

Grice said. Grice said he plans to go to an accountant this tax season to ensure he does not leave anything out and receives as much money as he is due. According to the Alabama Department of Revenue, changes to this year's tax forms include Military Spouses Residency Relief Act exemption and child labor enforcement standards. The Alabama Department of Revenue web site provides printable tax forms, as well helpful information regarding motor vehicle and property taxes.

Share and discuss “Tips For Fuss-Free Filing” on social media.