Nicole Emmett / WRITER

Campus

Kappa Kappa Psi Hosts Live, Laugh, Run

Runners braved the bad weather at Kappa Kappa Psi's Live, Laugh, Run 5K and Fun Run Saturday morning.The event began on the Concourse as 157 people ran in memory of Sarah Anderson, Auburn student and band member."I could not have asked for a better turnout, especially on a rainy day," said Katherine Buck, sophomore in communications and member of KKPsi.Kappa Kappa Psi is the national honorary band fraternity, of which Anderson was a brother.

News

Scoping Stars From Forest

Stargazers snacked on Moon Pies, Starbursts, Milky Ways and Cosmic Kool-Aid as they watched a movie about the Hubble space telescope and gazed at the stars Saturday night.The Auburn Forest Ecology Preserve staff and the Auburn Astronomical Society held its biannual Astronomy Night Saturday at the Mary Olive Thomas Demonstration Forest."I think it is set up really well," said Colin MacDougall, junior in mass communications at Southern Union State Community College.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Crowd Packs Goodwin for Guest Recital

The Music Department presented a guest artist recital featuring violinist Liana Gourdija and pianist Efi Hackmey at the Goodwin Recital Hall Saturday evening.The crowd gave the duo a standing ovation after their hour and a half performance. Both performers offered to sign copies of their self-titled CD, which was released Friday and sold after the show.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Tips For Fuss-Free Filing

For the inexperienced, these last two weeks of tax season could be the right time to learn how to file taxes.Taxes are due April 15 of every year."If you're a student, it is important that you know if you are being claimed on your parents return," said Nancy Fritschner, account at Fritschner and Bremen LLCFritschner said that while online programs are helpful, a Certified Public Accountant firm is always the best way to do taxes.She said the customer brings in their information to an experienced accountant, answers questions and leaves.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Artists creates 'Edible Estates' for hungry homeowners

Fritz Haeg makes a living transforming ordinary lawns into living sources of food."Imagine what could happen if everyone did this to their front lawn," said Jake Challingsworth, sophomore in environmental science who attended Haeg's "Welcoming the Wild" lecture at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Bill Divides Electoral College Votes

Debate arose over the significance of "second place" when an Alabama House committee approved a bill that would scrap the "winner take all" system of dividing Alabama's nine electors in presidential elections Wednesday.The House Constitution and Elections Committee voted 7-5 in favor of the bill.The bill faces another vote by the full state house.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Bass Fishing club sinks to Tide

NICOLE EMMETTThe Auburn Bass Fishing club was defeated by Alabama Saturday morning at Logan Martin Lake in Birmingham for the Bassmaster College Classic.The Iron Bowl of Fishing was a six-hour event.Close to 400 fans crowded around the Toyota Tundra weigh-in booth to watch the day's events unfold.Three two-man teams from each school fished for a cumulative weight.Alabama weighed in at almost 26 lbs.

Sports

Students 'Step' into Shape

As spring break approaches, women continued to fill the Step and Pump class in the Student Act as they stepped, side-kicked and shoulder-pressed Monday evening.The 47 participants exercised intensely for an hour to upbeat music from Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Akon."It's time to think about something in your life that needs a kick," said Emily Quinn, instructor and freshman in fine art, as she lifted her leg high in the air.Quinn said she has seen an increase in the number of people working out in the Student Act since last year and that the high numbers have remained steady so far."There is usually a large crowd at the beginning of the year that fades around February," Quinn said.

More articles »