Vets Visit WWII Memorial

Friday was a day of gratitude and appreciation nearly 65 years in the making.

Eighty-seven World War II veterans from Columbus and the surrounding areas were honored for their service with an all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. to see the World War II Memorial.

For the Lee County veterans, the day began with a quick celebration at First Baptist Church Opelika that included Sen. Ted Little (D-Auburn), Auburn Mayor Bill Ham and Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller, who traveled with the veterans to Washington D. C.

"It's an extreme honor and privilege to be with you," Ham told the veterans. "My wife said she's never seen me this excited, even on Christmas, and I think she's right."

Ham wasn't the only excited participant during the celebration. Members from all of the University's ROTC programs also took part in the celebration.

"There's no way that we can truly show them how grateful we are for the freedoms they gave us, but this is one of the ways we can try," said Kilian McGroary, freshman in pre-nursing and member of the Army ROTC.

After the celebration in Opelika, the veterans took a bus to Columbus for their flight to D.C. The day was put together by the West Georgia Honor Flight Hub, a part of the Honor Flight Network.

"The youngest vet is in his eighties," said Royce Ard, hub director. "We're losing over 1,000 World War II vets a day, so that's why it's imperative to do it immediately."

Ard said planning for the event includes selecting guardians, or volunteers, who pay to accompany the veterans on the trip, as well as supplying medical personnel and equipment.

For this particular trip, the veterans were treated to a chartered Miami Air flight, flown by Ross Fischer, president of Miami Air, and former pilot to President Bill Clinton, President George W. Bush and first lady Laura Bush.

Selection of the veterans was also an integral part of the planning process.

"Any World War II vet can apply," Ard said. "It's first come, first serve as they send in their applications, except for veterans 90 or older, or terminally ill veterans, which both get priority."

Jack Simms, former head of Auburn's journalism department, was one of the 87 chosen. Simms is a 4th Marine Division combat veteran who fought at the battle of Iwo Jima.

"It meant a lot," Simms said. "We lost an awful lot of people at Iwo, and this is a tribute to them."

Simms was also selected to place the wreath on the Iwo Jima Memorial, during the trip.

As Simms recalled the battle, he expressed his gratitude for the chance to lay the wreath.

"To me it was a moment because I didn't fall apart, but I thought I was going to," Simms said. "This sergeant came up, hugged me and grabbed my arm. He made a heck of an effort to make me feel important. I'd have felt important if he just said hey."

However, it wasn't only the veterans that considered themselves fortunate to be part of the trip. Alexia Frazier of Opelika attended the trip as a guardian with her father, a WWII veteran.

"It is probably one of the greatest honors of my life," Frazier said through tear-filled eyes. "(My dad) is 87, and it's just a real honor to be able to do this."

Share and discuss “Vets Visit WWII Memorial” on social media.