Auburn Offers Fun in the Sun

Between spring and fall semesters at Auburn University, many students who stay in town for the summer struggle to find local entertainment.

"Most everyone I know goes to Birmingham or Atlanta a lot for fun activities," said Megan Neely, a senior in Human Development and Family Studies.

Despite how slow-paced it may seem during the summer, Auburn has much to offer to anyone searching for a good time. It just takes creativity and knowing what is going on in town to find the fun.

Students who love food can visit The Market at Ag Heritage Park, an open-air farmers' market located on the corner of Donahue and Lem Morrison drives. The Market is open from 3- 6 p.m. every Thursday beginning May 27 through Aug. 26.

"It's been a lot of fun," Becky Ward-Rogers, a farmer and vendor at The Market said. "We've met a lot of nice people." Will McCartney, a junior in civil engineering and economics, said he likes The Market because it's fresh, local food, and that he enjoyed the spun honey made by a beekeeper from Opelika.

A different culinary treat that is available in Auburn mainly during the summer is Sno Biz. A cup of delicious shaved ice is refreshing in any weather. Sno Biz is a very popular destination for those who want an ice-cream alternative.

"We open in April, and once we open up it gets really busy because everyone wants to cool down," said Abby Armstrong, Sno Biz employee.

Another fun summer activity is going to concerts. Listening to live music with friends, lawn chairs and a cooler can spice up any summer day.

There will be a free concert in Town Creek Park Saturday, May 27 from 6- 7:30 p.m. as part of the May Sundown Concert Series put on by Auburn Parks and Recreation.

On a hot summer day, one of the easiest ways to cool off is to get in the water. The difficult part is choosing which place to swim.

Chewacla State Park has a swimming area that is open daily. Admission to the park for adults is $2 on weekdays and $3 on weekends. There are no lifeguards on duty.

Also, Surfside Water Park, located at 2780 S. College St., opens Saturday, May 29. The park features a 450,000-gallon wave pool, a lazy river, four body flumes and two speed slides. General admission for 48 inches and over is $19.99. The discounted student rate, valid with a student ID, is $10.

When all else fails, a summer favorite, the pool, can always entertain. People who live in apartment complexes or houses that do not have pools can go to the Auburn City Pools, which opened May 26. Samford Pool is located at 328 Samford Ave., and Drake Pool is located at 653 Spencer Ave. Daily admission is $2 per person.

Share and discuss “Auburn Offers Fun in the Sun” on social media.