Ron Sparks to Represent Democrats in Gubernatorial Election

The results are in. State Agricultural Commissioner Ron Sparks has been nominated as the Democratic candidate for the governor of Alabama, as Rep. Artur Davis conceded. Sparks will be facing off against a Republican candidate who is yet to be determined.

The primaries were held today throughout the state. In general, primaries traditionally do not have high participation. According to the United States Election Project, only 32.2 percent of Alabama citizens cast their votes in the 2008 federal primaries.

However, many citizens made their way out to the polls to cast their votes today.

"I just care what happens in the elections," said Tina Gottesman. "I think the economy is a big issue and being a teacher I always think public education is an issue."

Johnnes Schmal, senior in electrical engineering, said, "I voted so we can hopefully get some true conservatives back in the government."

He said he felt like some of the most important issues at hand are unemployment, illegal immigration, education and family.

"Alabama needs to be a leader in the direction of the country," said local citizen Robert Norton.

Sparks has served as the Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries since 2003. According to his website, "He has focused on the serious issues facing agriculture in Alabama and is a strong advocate for our farmers."

According to his website, Sparks is an advocate for Alabama's independence from foreign oil. He created the Center for Alternative Fuels in 2006.

Sparks' website also states that he plans to enact an education lottery and offer a scholarship to every Alabama student who graduates from high school. A goal of his includes giving voters an opportunity to make decisions on how to handle gaming. He also plans to make casinos pay taxes to help provide for seniors and schools.

Share and discuss “Ron Sparks to Represent Democrats in Gubernatorial Election” on social media.