New Doctoral Program Comes to College of Engineering

Auburn University has started a doctoral program for polymer and fiber engineering.

"This is an outgrowth of textile engineering," explained Dr. Joe Morgan, associate dean for academics for the College of Engineering.

Morgan said textile engineering programs have moved toward broader perspectives, still including apparel, but expanding to include all kinds of applications.

"We're actually the only polymer and fiber engineering program in the state of Alabama," said Dr. Peter Schwartz, professor and head of the Department of Polymer and Fiber Engineering. "We are unique to the state."

"The Ph.D. program in polymer and fiber engineering offers a full range of study and research in multi-disciplinary areas, which include natural and synthetic polymers, nanomaterials, polymer processing, fibrous materials and fibrous composites," according to Auburn's polymer and fiber engineering website.

Schwartz said the graduate school is easy to apply for because the application process can be done online.

As far as the process of accepting applicants is concerned, Schwartz said in the department of polymer and fiber engineering there is a three-person admissions committee, which he is a member of.

"We review the applicants, then we vote on whether we should accept or not to accept them," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said after the committee makes a decision, they pass their recommendation along to the graduate school, which is in charge of actually admitting applicants.

"We like to see students to have an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field," Schwartz said.

He said other qualifications they look for in applicants include good grades and satisfactory exam scores.

"You would expect them to have a B average or above to get into the masters program, and you could probably expect a little higher than that to get into the Ph.D. program," Morgan said.

Schwartz said they accept applications year round. However, he pointed out that because of the tightening of visa restrictions after 9/11, international students should apply at least six months in advance.

Schwartz continued by pointing out positive aspects of the polymer and fiber engineering doctoral program.

"We're a small program, an active program, and there's a lot of interaction between faculty and students," Schwartz said.

Morgan said he was happy to have the doctoral program established.

"We think we're already pretty good as an engineering college, but to move into the very top classification you need to have an active research program -- not just for the research, but that brings faculty here and that benefits undergraduates too," Morgan said. "It's part of the growth and development of the college. We're certainly pleased."

For more information about the program, visit Auburn's Department of Polymer and Fiber Engineering's website at: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pfen/.

Share and discuss “New Doctoral Program Comes to College of Engineering” on social media.