New culinary venues conquer tiger-sized cravings

Gigi's Cupcakes

For some cupcake boutiques, the recipe for success lies solely in the eggs, flour and butter, but for Gigi's Cupcakes, it is in the heart of its owners.

Patrick and Jennifer Cooper, Auburn alumni, wanted an excuse to return to Auburn after moving to Fort Payne. When they fell in love with a Gigi's Cupcakes in Nashville, Tenn., they could not resist moving back to the place where they met.

After Gigi's grand opening on Aug. 7, the city of Auburn has fallen in love with its cupcakes as well.

"We are doing wonderful," Jennifer said. "We have sold out of cupcakes every day."

With a different menu of cupcake flavors daily, Gigi's provides a wide variety from which to choose; however, wedding cake is served daily.

Not only does Gigi's provide a fix for any cupcake craving, but it is also strategically located.

Built across the street from Publix on Moores Mill Road, the Coopers wanted a place where there was a large community influence while still maintaining closeness to the University.

"There is no parking on campus, and Auburn is moving this way, which creates easy access," Jennifer said.

The Coopers had originally planned to build in the Publix shopping complex, but with other stores moving in the area they feared they would lose visibility.

Jennifer said she likes that Gigi's can be seen from the traffic light on the corner of Moores Mill and Ogletree roads.

Gigi's new website allows the shopper to also order and pay online.

Chill

Painted in bright shades of purple, green and orange, Chill may well be the coolest place in Auburn.

Located on Magnolia Avenue, Chill provides a new way to experience frozen yogurt, offering 75 different toppings and a variety of flavors, resulting in endless combinations.

Since its opening on July 10, Chill's business has not yet cooled down.

"Business has been really good since school started back," said MP Cowley, Chill employee.

Students can be seen daily sitting in large groups on Chill's brick patio, eating and waving at passing students.

Chill's proximity to campus creates an easy walk from classes and also provides an opportunity for students to meet other students.

Not only is the location ideal, but the unique variety of flavors provides an option for any taste.

In a regular or large size cup, students can enjoy traditional frozen yogurt flavors such as birthday cake and wild strawberry. For the more adventurous, there are options such as watermelon and pink lemonade sorbet.

Not only are customers encouraged to try Chill's great tastes, but they are rewarded the more they dine.

With Chill's loyalty card, for every nine cups of frozen yogurt customers purchase, they receive the 10th free.

Chill will be holding their official grand opening Thursday with free samples and 15 percent off all items all day long. Stop in and beat the heat with a cool treat.

Balcony Bar

Sure to become a post-game tradition because of its spectacular view of Toomer's Corner, Balcony Bar will open its doors in the next week.

Located in the old Coldstone Creamery storefront, Louis Williams, Balcony Bar owner, said he is going after a more relaxed, local crowd.

"Primarily, we just want anyone that wants to have a good time, to watch a couple of games, have a few beers and just hangout," Williams said. "It's really for everyone."

Describing it as your "basic bar," Williams said it will feature a pool table, game tables, a beautiful wood bar that was custom made, three large screen TVs, as well as the convenient view of Toomer's.

As far as drink specials go, Balcony Bar will attempt to gain a loyal following by offering affordable drinks during the week.

"The plan is to make our prices similar to everyone else's drink specials' all the time," Williams said. "Our goal won't be to be the cheapest every night, but offer a fair price for a good drink every night."

Williams also said the bar, which is 21 and up, will most likely host different events throughout the week, like trivia and karaoke, though they haven't planned out the schedule.

While not open yet, Williams said the doors will be open before the first football game.

Waffle House

Whether for an early morning breakfast or an after-bar food craving, the new Waffle House on West Glenn Avenue has got Auburn covered.

Britney Brewer, employee of Waffle House for four years, said the location was purposefully chosen to attract both students and the late night bar crowd.

"They figured that it would be the place that makes the most money because it was right by the college and more convenient to people who live near there," Brewer said.

In comparison to other Auburn locations, Brewer said this one will be much more student-focused and friendly.

In order to encourage student business, Waffle House currently has a number of deals, including 15 meals for fewer than $5.

"We try to add stuff together like hashbrowns and grits to lower the price a little and give drinks for free," Brewer said.

Not surprisingly, the busiest time to visit is between 12 p.m. and 3 a.m. on crowded bar nights. However, if you are looking to snag a table without fighting the crowds, Brewer suggested coming on weekday mornings between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m.

Marco's Pizza

Bringing authentic Italian pizza and subs to Auburn, Marco's Pizza opened its doors on North Dean Road earlier this month, adding its name to a long list of competitors vying for a slice of the student dining pie.

"Our founder, Pasquale Giammarco, was born in Italy, and we have a more organic, healthy and classic Italian style menu than our competitors," said Patrick Watson, general manager of Marco's. "We make our dough every day in the store, our cheese comes in refrigerated and never frozen, and our sauce is turned into sauce six hours after the tomatoes are picked."

Using these fresh ingredients, Marco's cooks up a wide range of delicious pizzas, subs, wings and salads. Their most popular items so far have been the award winning White Cheezy and the Garden.

Watson said Marco's is currently offering any large one topping pizza for $8.99 or any large two topping pizza for $9.99.

With online ordering available and a delivery radius of three miles around the store, Watson said they are expecting to do about 60 to 65 percent delivery to campus and other areas.

For those not currently within delivery range, Watson said they expect to open more locations in the Auburn area to cover a larger range of customer locations.

Share and discuss “New culinary venues conquer tiger-sized cravings” on social media.