Karate club teaches discipline, self-confidence

Shannon Price and Dilbur Arsiwalla participate in a partner exercise that combines defensive tactics and offensive movements at practice Thursday. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The AU Karate Club does not just train students how to defend themselves--it also teaches self-confidence and stress relief.

"With karate, you gain strength and balance," said Chase Kinsey, freshman in zoology. "You also gain confidence and discipline.

"It teaches you how to remain calm in stressful situations and how to defend yourself in dangerous ones."

Kinsey said he has been active in martial arts for most of his life, and he anticipates being a part of the Karate Club throughout his college years.

The club started in the 1980s and continued to run until it became inactive in 1999.

Shannon Price, who originally joined the club in 1988 as a freshman, became the adviser and reformed the club in 2008.

"Karate has really been a huge benefit for me, also in my concentration and just general health," Price said.

The club is open to students, faculty and staff, and it does not vary much from the karate class offered on campus.

"The teacher, Robert Martin, teaches a Japanese style of karate, but it is slightly different," Price said. "If you take the class, there's really no connection between them except a friendly connection that you could come to our club and keep training."

Dilbur Arsiwalla, postdoctoral fellow in human development and family studies, said she felt excited to join the club, but also hesitant.

"I was slightly reluctant, too, because I wasn't sure whether I was fit enough for training of this nature," Arsiwalla said. "Also, I had questions about the environment and the physical nature of the martial art, as most people do."

Arsiwalla said all of her fears were quelled when she attended the first class.

She said she found the teachers and her fellow students to be friendly and welcoming.

Price echoed Arsiwalla's feelings about the club.

"We start people who we don't assume they know anything," Price said, "and we will just stick with them.

"I've seen the most uncoordinated and inflexible people just make huge improvements in their health."

Leigh Jacobson, AU recycling coordinator, became interested this fall when she saw their table during O-Days and inquired about the club.

Jacobson said her favorite part of most things tends to be the people involved.

"There are a variety of cultures, ages and skill levels represented among the men and women who train with the club," Jacobson said. "The upper belts are generally very helpful with advice to the lower belts on how to train well."

Price said it is nice that the club is available to faculty and staff because of the benefits from training.

"A lot of times a lot of older people, even older like people who aren't students anymore, don't think about being able to do this," Price said. "So unlike a lot of sports that are kind of finished when you're finished with high school or college, this one just continues on and on and on."

Beyond the physical benefits of training in the club, Price said he hopes to get opportunities for competitions.

Share and discuss “Karate club teaches discipline, self-confidence” on social media.