Sasser, FCA and Williams Ministries ignite Auburn

Auburn will host its first student Christian revival in 10 years Thursday at the Auburn Arena.

The highlight of the night will be a message by keynote speaker Rev. Chette Williams, chaplain for the Auburn football team.

Coach Gene Chizik will also speak at the event.

Williams said although an official topic has not been announced for either speech, "Ignite Auburn" is both the title and theme of the night.

"We really wanted to ignite our students," he said. "That's why we came up with that topic."

Williams said he hopes students will walk away from the event with a renewed spiritual awareness.

He was inspired to organize the event last spring when he noticed that other Christian events on campus didn't seem to be attracting many students.

"I think it all started back when the Will Graham Festival went on," Williams said. "I guess the burden, I think it was--that's what I want to call it--it was just a heavy burden that was placed on me and my wife after the Will Graham festival. We didn't see a whole lot of participants for it from students and athletes on campus."

The planning for the event began this past summer.

"Ignite Auburn" is officially sponsored by Williams and the Auburn Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

It was organized by representatives from many student organizations, including various athletic teams and the Student Government Association.

"SGA's not doing anything directly with it," said Kurt Sasser, senior in human resource management and SGA president. "As a student body, SGA endorses all campus ministries."

Individually, Sasser has volunteered with the "Ignite Auburn" committee to organize the event.

He said he hopes the event will not be the last of its kind.

"This is kind of the planting seed," Sasser said. "This is something that we want to grow off of. We want to plant the seed Thursday. From there, we just want it to grow."

Danielle Gilchrist, member of the FCA Leadership team, said the night will feature live music, student testimonies and prayer counseling for those who request it.

"Basically, if someone has a calling--they don't know Jesus, or someone who would like to rededicate their life, or someone who would like to answer their call to ministry--if anyone feels the need to get prayed over or wants to talk to someone about what's on their heart, that's the purpose of the counseling," Gilchrist said.

Live music will include Haley Morgan Smith, David Manning and Jimmy Needham.

According to Sasser, guest musicians were carefully selected in an effort to appeal to all musical tastes.

"The goal in selecting the musicians is to include all cultural backgrounds," Sasser said. "If you want rock, we've got it. If you want rap, we've got it."

Doors will open at 5 p.m., and the event will take place from 6 to 9 p.m.

Students with other obligations are encouraged to come for as long as they can.

"Anyone can show up," Sasser said. "If you've got something at 6 and can't get there until 7 o'clock or 7:30, come on. Don't worry about the starting times necessarily."

Gilchrist said although "Ignite Auburn" is a Christian revival, it is open to any interested student.

"We actually encourage non-Christians to come," she said.

Share and discuss “Sasser, FCA and Williams Ministries ignite Auburn” on social media.