Campus workers adjust to a student environment without students

Although most University services shut down during Thanksgiving break and winter break, some departments such as the bookstore and library remain open for at least some of the break, but often with new hours.

The bookstore, for instance, is generally open several days after classes end.

According to Candace Saunders, senior in early childhood education and bookstore employee, the store did not close for Thanksgiving break until last Wednesday.

She said the bookstore will probably be closed for about two weeks over winter break.

Dorms, dining services and most offices on campus close during University breaks.

According to Jayson Hill, director of communications and marketing for the library, the library shortens its hours, but all regular services are still available.

"Everything will be operating as normal," Hill said. "You can pretty much take advantage of anything you want to during that time period."

However, some of the library's partners, such as the Miller Writing Center and the Study Partners program, will not be open.

According to Trey Lightner of human resources, other services that function over breaks include Auburn University facilities and the small animal veterinary clinic.

Both operate on a limited basis.

"The facilities division--part of them will be working. They keep things working on campus," Lightner said. "It'll be a very small amount of people working."

He added that the vet clinic would probably be open on an emergency basis only.

Although many employees do not work over breaks, they do not go without compensation.

According to Lightner, all regular employees of the University continue to receive normal pay over breaks, even if they are not working.

"For not working, it's just considered regular time," Lightner said.

This means if an employee usually works eight hours a day, he or she will receive pay for eight hours every day he or she is not permitted to work over break.

The same rule applies to both full-time and part-time regular employees.

Lightner said the amount of paid leave granted to University employees is determined by the president.

All employees are given a schedule detailing their time off.

Saunders said the benefit of paid breaks does not apply to student employees.

During winter break, Saunders will not be working, but she will also not be getting paid.

"The money part does kind of cut in," she said, "but I'm happy about the break.

"It's about the only break I get during the school year."

Share and discuss “Campus workers adjust to a student environment without students” on social media.