Reported burglaries decrease during 2010

According to an analysis of burglary reports by Auburn police, the city saw a decline in burglaries during 2010.

The analysis showed a decrease in the total number of burglaries by 17 percent.

Capt. Tom Stofer said many different factors contributed to the decrease in burglaries.

"I think we can contribute that to many things; No. 1 is increased patrols, especially in those areas where we've experienced burglaries in the past," Stofer said.

"I think we can also attribute it to citizens becoming more involved. We seem to be getting more people calling us when they see suspicious activity or suspicious persons in their neighborhood."

Detailed reports revealed the rate of residential burglaries decreased by 14 percent, business burglaries decreased by 39 percent and auto burglaries decreased by 16 percent.

Christen McFarland, sophomore in graphic design, has lived in several different areas of Auburn and now has an apartment off Thach Avenue.

McFarland said she has dealt with several robberies in her time here and was glad to see a decrease in crimes.

"I've had people break into my car before and take things," McFarland said. "I've had neighbors get their apartments broken into, and that's worse because you live in fear for a bit. I'm really glad to know there's been improvement there."

The analysis showed in December 2010 total burglaries decreased by 47 percent compared to December 2009, a month when the number of burglaries usually increases because of students leaving for the holidays.

Stofer said the police department's pass check program is becoming increasingly popular for students who leave during the break.

"We'll do more than just drive by your house," Stofer said. "We'll walk around the home, check the windows and doors to make sure they're secure and that there are no obvious signs of intrusion.

"That's just a public service we provide, and as more people learn about the program, the more people are taking advantage of it."

McFarland said the program makes her feel more comfortable about leaving her apartment unattended for the holidays as she travels back home to Birmingham.

"It's not like I can run down and make a two hour drive every time I think something's off," McFarland said. "So it's nice to be able to call up the cops and have them check on things for me, and I know they'll do a good job."

Stofer said although there was a decrease in burglaries last year, citizens shouldn't let their guards down.

Stofer said a few armed robberies in the area, along with reported break-ins at apartments on Longleaf Drive, have yet to be solved.

"Anybody that can assist police in providing us any information or anything, just give us a call," Stofer said. "We're still looking for the suspect or suspects in that case."

Share and discuss “Reported burglaries decrease during 2010” on social media.