Turnage wins SGA presidential election

Tuesday night, after all votes were counted and all forms signed, Kirby Turnage took the title of 2011-2012 SGA president.

Turnage secured the spot with 2,837 votes--42 percent of the total.

Approximately 30 percent of the Auburn student body voted in the election.

"It feels amazing." Turnage said. "Auburn University students helped me get here."

Kel Jackson was a close runner-up, falling behind Turnage with 653 fewer votes and 32 percent of the vote.

"I'm extremely proud of my team," Jackson said. "I figure we ran a fantastic race."

Trevor Ramsey secured 25 percent of the vote, with a total tally of 1,733.

"I tell you, this has been an absolute honor," Ramsey said. "The entire experience has been humbling. The encouragement and support from my family and friends--I couldn't have asked for anything more."

Kurt Sasser, SGA president was in attendance and said he has high hopes for Turnage representing Auburn University.

"Kirby's a good guy--he's going to do a lot for Auburn," Sasser said. "His passion is in the right place. I'm extremely proud of him, truly proud of not only Kirby, but Kel and Trevor; each one of the candidates held their heads high. They ran a very clean election."

Turnage credited his win to his staff, his platform and his supporters' abilities to communicate his message.

"Kel and Trevor both ran great races," Turnage said. "I think really it was just getting myself out there. My platform and my ideas are immediately feasible and accomplishable ideas."

Share and discuss “Turnage wins SGA presidential election” on social media.