Your View: Exercise your student right by voting in SGA elections

For many students the madness that started yesterday and will continue for the next week is an exciting time. SGA elections offer an opportunity to meet student leaders and hear new ideas. For others, however, it's a week to put on headphones and avoid the concourse like it's the plague.

Those students seem to have two questions. Does this really matter? And if it does really matter as much as "involved" people claim it does, then why does it seem to revolve around trivial freebies, costumes and dances between class?

I would like to address these questions. SGA does affect every student. Every student is a member of SGA and pays student fees. SGA then allocates this roughly 1.4 million dollars. The people who make funding decisions for organizations such as UPC, Impact and BSU will be elected this week.

Are you a member of one of Auburn's 329 campus organizations? All of these receive their charter through SGA, which ensures that organizations do not discriminate and maintain consistent standards. In turn SGA makes funds available to these organizations every semester.

Think campus dining is too expensive or the hours are too limited? SGA has spent a significant portion of the last year working with the administration to ensure that pricing and hours are consistent with the contract we are operating under.

Toomer's Ten, academic honesty standards and the new Wellness & Sustainability Center are all projects the SGA has worked with the University on this year.

Why, then, does such an important process seem so silly at times? That criticism is fair and the process is one we are constantly trying to improve. In recent years candidates have begun to put less of an emphasis on gimmicks and handouts and more of an emphasis on articulating to students what they intend to accomplish.

Every candidate has a platform found at auburn.edu/sga/elections. Virtually all candidates have a Facebook group where they can go into more detail on why they are the best candidate for you. Many will stop by a meeting you have this week so they can speak to you in a more intimate setting.

What can you do to be a more informed voter? Read the platforms. Come to our debate this Monday at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. When a candidate offers you a cookie, take it, but ask why they are running. Every candidate would rather have a conversation with you than just give you something.

Auburn University boasts one of the most vibrant election processes in the nation. Our voter turnout last year was 33 percent; the highest of any major public university in the nation. (For comparison, Alabama's was 29 percent, Florida State's 12 percent.) Our electorate is diverse; the split is nearly even among the four classifications. Women are slightly more likely to vote than men, and contrary to popular belief in the last three elections the ratio of Greeks to independents is almost dead even.

We in SGA look forward to continuing to improve this great tradition and hope that you will take part.

--Scott Seitz,

SGA assistant vice president for political affairs.

Share and discuss “Your View: Exercise your student right by voting in SGA elections” on social media.