Census results show expansion

The 2010 census results are in, and Auburn and Opelika officials are already using the data to help with city planning.

"The census is a major tool in the toolkit to determine growth, planning and grants," said Bill Ham, mayor of Auburn.

"It determines how many new schools are needed, how zoning districts should be distributed and is an instrument for infrastructure."

The census form, which asks 10 questions, is distributed to every residence across the nation.

"The first thing we're working on is a state law requiring a new redistricting plan for the city," said Wayne Dyess, assistant planning director for Auburn. "The law says there must be equal population distribution for each district.

"Over time, annexations and growth are sometimes disproportional, and we are trying to reach ideal population for each district."

According to Auburn's website, because of constant population growth in east Alabama, Auburn continues to experience steady commercial growth.

The city has recently expanded to accommodate a Publix and a number of other new retailers and restaurants in the downtown area.

Opelika is also expanding exponentially.

"Just during the past five years, new or expanding industry has invested almost $390 million in capital, and we've added over 1,500 good-paying jobs," said Gary Fuller, mayor of Opelika.

Fuller said jobs and disposable income are the engines that drive retail and residential development.

The state's population has risen 7.5 percent since the 2000 census results.

Opelika, which has seen a 12.7 percent increase in population since 2000 when it was recorded at 23,498 people, finds its current population count of 26,477 people to be surprisingly low, Fuller said.

"We are in process of questioning their numbers," Fuller said. "We believe, based on the number of new single family homes built the past few years, that their count is low.

"I believe we are closer to 29,000 people."

Opelika isn't alone in its expectations of false population count.

Ham said Auburn will also be going back to the census bureau for an accurate count.

"Based on previous numbers, we feel there's a segment of the city that is off by more than 10 percent," Ham said.

In both Auburn and Opelika, the population of Hispanic/Latinos and Asians is expanding the fastest.

In Auburn, the black population outpaced the white population 22 to 19 percent. Opelika shared the same outpacing with a 22 to 17 percent ratio.

"People make the difference regardless of color," Fuller said.

Ham says the racial demographics of Auburn are hard to determine without being positive they're dealing with accurate numbers.

With the numbers submitted by the census bureau, Opelika currently stands as the 19th largest city in the state of Alabama, and Auburn is ranked ninth.

In 2009, U.S. World and News Report named Auburn No. 2 on its list of best places to live, describing it as "a place for Southern charm with collegiate vigor. A diamond on the eastern Alabama plains."

Today, the city of Auburn is known as one of the more progressive cities in the South with a nationally ranked public school system and a diverse population.

Share and discuss “Census results show expansion” on social media.