Chadwick named program director

Nanette Chadwick, associate professor of biological sciences, has been named director of academic sustainability. (Emily Adams / Photo Editor)

Associate professor Nanette Chadwick was named the new director of academic sustainability by Mary Ellen Mazey, Auburn University provost.

Chadwick will collaborate with faculty to promote sustainability implemented in academic programs, and she will expand the current sustainability programs.

Chadwick will work closely with Michael Kensler, director of the Office of Sustainability and campus sustainability operations, to promote sustainability initiatives on campus.

"Dr. Chadwick oversees the sustainability curriculum development and promotes interdisciplinary academic research related to sustainability," Kensler said. "I oversee the activities of the Office of Sustainability on campus."

Chadwick works with students within the sustainability minor as well.

"This involves coordinating and helping to teach courses for students in the minor, such as the Introduction to Sustainability and the capstone course for seniors," Chadwick said.

In 2004, Chadwick joined the department of biological sciences. She graduated from the University of California at Santa Barbara with a bachelor's degree in biological sciences, and she then pursued a Ph.D in zoology from the University of California at Berkeley.

"Concepts of sustainability can be applied to any field, and so this minor is really about learning a new way of thinking about the world and applying it to your course of study," Chadwick said. "Engineering students can learn how to design structures or systems that will meet the needs of future generations in a sustainable way."

In 2008, Auburn began to implement sustainability programs.

According to Chadwick, sustainability can be implemented with various majors.

"I will work on obtaining increased external funding for sustainability research and programs on campus," she said. "I will write grant proposals independently and in collaboration with other faculty members to initiate and expand on sustainability research on campus."

Through her research and program ideas, Chadwick said she hopes to foster a connection between various fields of study.

"I also am interested in pursuing research collaborations and fostering projects in the social sciences and economics, which would build on my experience in the economic valuation of natural resources and the social factors that affect sustainable use of tourism resources," Chadwick said.

According to Chadwick, her ideas for programs can be used within sustainability courses, and faculty could work closer with students to enhance the understanding of sustainability.

Her ideas for implementing sustainability to students involves bringing students to work with sustainability first hand.

"What about a campus food garden to both train students in sustainable food practices and to supply campus food service?" Chadwick said. "I would like to work with the student-led initiative to increase the local, whole and organic foods available in campus food service and to expand the campus farmers market."

With Chadwick's help, students will be able to suggest sustainability projects.

"I welcome suggestions and ideas from Auburn students on how we can accomplish these goals together," Chadwick said.

Share and discuss “Chadwick named program director” on social media.