Horseman's Club saddles up for St. Jude hospital

Club president Hayley Dickinson, secretary Amanda Branham and publicity chair Lauris  Orem help promote the Saddle Up for St. Jude Trail Ride happening March 5. (Rebekah Weaver / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)
Club president Hayley Dickinson, secretary Amanda Branham and publicity chair Lauris Orem help promote the Saddle Up for St. Jude Trail Ride happening March 5. (Rebekah Weaver / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn University Horseman's Club is spurring up for its annual Saddle Up for St. Jude charity trail ride March 5.

Saddle Up for St. Jude is a nationwide fundraiser held by different equine-based organizations to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

The Auburn University Horseman's Club contacted St. Jude and became a Saddle Up for St. Jude event coordinator in Alabama.

Last year, 15 riders came out for the fundraiser, and club members hope to have an even better turnout this year.

"You can't find a better cause than St. Jude," said Cynthia McCall, faculty adviser for the Auburn Horseman's Club.

McCall said the club has sponsored the fundraiser for several years, and she hopes this year's trail ride will bring more interest.

For a minimum $15 donation, students and residents in and around Auburn with their own horse or access to one are invited to blaze the trails with the Horseman's Club at Bedford V. Cash/Bold Destiny Memorial Horse Trail at Tuskegee National Forest.

Check-in for the ride will begin at 9:15 a.m. at the trail and will include registration and tacking up horses for the ride.

Lasting from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., the ride will have a veterinarian on-site and first aid kits available on the trail.

Lauris Orem, sophomore in equine sciences and Horseman's Club member, said the event is also open to those who do not ride or have a horse, but would like to donate money to benefit cancer research for children with life-threatening illnesses.

"Donations are key and all of the money goes to St. Jude," Orem said.

The proceeds from Saddle Up for St. Jude are given directly to St. Jude, which will use the funds to continue their research of childhood cancer and other illnesses.

Prizes will be awarded to top donors and can be viewed on the St. Jude website.

Participants can pre-register by e-mailing club president, Hayley Dickinson at had0002@auburn.edu. Registered participants can buy T-shirts for $10. T-shirts cost $15 for nonparticipants.

Dickinson has served as the Horseman's Club president for two years and said she enjoyed the event last year.

"It's cool to have an event that combines horses with a great cause," Dickinson said.

Dickinson said horses have the ability to touch people and change lives.

"It's a great cause," Dickinson said. "Horses can provide a sort of therapy that people can't."

More information is available on the club's Facebook page.

Share and discuss “Horseman's Club saddles up for St. Jude hospital” on social media.